Reuters-U.S. activists vow to remem

U.S. activists vow to remember Myanmar movement
09:48 a.m. Aug 17, 1998 Eastern

NEWARK, N.J. (Reuters) - Two American students deported from Myanmar
arrived home in the United States on Monday saying they were glad to be
back but bitterly denounced persecution of pro-democracy forces in the
Asian nation.

Michele Keegan of New Jersey and Anjeanette Hamilton of New Hampshire,
among 18 foreign activists expelled from Myanmar (Burma) for handing out
leaflets, were greeted by friends and relatives with screams of joy, hugs
and kisses at Newark International Airport early Monday.

``It's the people of Burma we need to worry about,'' said Keegan, 19, of
Hamilton Township. ``If they say something about democracy, they just kill
them.''

``Our families worried about us but we're here, we're OK,'' she said.

Red-eyed from tears of joy and holding flowers, she told reporters, ``It
feels absolutely incredible to be home. It's the best feeling.''

The 18 activists included six Americans who are members of a Washington,
D.C.-based activist group called the Free Burma Coalition.

They were deported from Myanmar on Saturday for distributing pro-democracy
cards in the capital Yangon six days earlier that asked Myanmar's people to
remember an uprising against the military government 10 years ago that was
crushed by troops.

The cards read, ``We are friends from around the world. We have not
forgotten you. We support your hopes for human rights and democracy. 8888
-- Don't forget and don't give up.''

A court sentenced the campaigners to five years jail with labor but in a
dramatic turnaround, the court suspended the sentences and ordered them
deported in the interest of ``good relations'' with their countries. The
others detained included Malaysians, Thais, Indonesians, Filipinos and an
Australian.

Keegan said she did not regret her protest in Myanmar, where a military
regime crushed a democracy movement a decade ago.