Reuters-FOCUS-Yangon says Suu Kyi p (r)

Re: Reuters- FOCUS-Yangon says Suu Kyi party "Number One Enemy"

It is regretable to find out that a particular group within the SPDC has
become more paranoial and publically declare the NLD party as "Number
One Enemy " in a direct contrast to the NLD's willingness to
forgive and engage in a peaceful dialogue with the SPDC. ( NOTE: See
attached media news release from the NLD on 26 May 1998.)

We urge the leaders of the SPDC to take appropriate steps to stop this
type of annilihilating news from popping out in the state controlled
media in Burma. We have no choice but to take it as a death-threat to
Daw Aung San Suu Kyi's life and consider it as an official stand of the
present military regime as a whole. We would have to hold the SPDC
responsible for all the consequences that follows out of this
death-threat from now on.

We hope "forgiveness and willingness to promote peace" is still in the
making and in everyone's mind in four-days time and beyond.

Minn Kyaw Minn
==============

For release on: May 26, 1998

MEDIA RELEASE:
NLD LEADERS STAND FIRM FOR DIALOGUE

Bangkok, Tuesday: - On the eve of the 8th anniversary of their party?s
landslide win, the leaders of Burma?s National League for Democracy
reiterated their stand that political dialogue was the way forward out
of the country?s problems. The leaders also ruled out revenge against
the military regime.

In a rare interview held recently in Rangoon which featured U Aung
Shwe(Chairman), Daw Aung San Suu Kyi (General Secretary) and U Tin
U(Deputy Chairman), all three leaders agreed that dialogue was the way
to resolve Burma?s troubles.

U Aung Shwe said: "...the people suffer because there are now political
problems, economic problems and cultural problems. All these problems
cannot be solved without meeting each other and talking to each other."

U Tin U described tripartite dialogue as the country?s only solution.
"Therefore we very much desire to have a dialogue with our democratic
forces led by Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, and the ethnic races, as well as the
present military regime."

Ms Suu Kyi said that the regime should not regard dialogue as an
admission of defeat. "We think that to accept dialogue would be to
display strength by the government, to show that they have strength and
courage to do what is in the best for the country.

"We want dialogue because we want to find a solution that is best for
everybody ... particularly for the people of Burma and also for the
government, and those who are in the opposition at the moment. We do not
want revenge, we do not think there is anything particularly honourable
or admirable about seeking revenge, we want to find a peaceful
settlement...we remain committed to dialogue. It may be difficult to get
there, but we?re determined to get that. And we?re absolutely confident
that we shall get that."

Referring to the anniversary of the elections in which the NLD won 82 %
of parliamentary seats, Ms Suu Kyi added: "It is 8 years since the
elections have been ignored by the authorities, but we still stand by
the promises that we made to our people then."

U Aung Shwe said the people voted for the NLD because they believed it
was capable of fulfiling its election manifesto which still aims to
restore democracy to the country, establish an open market economy,
allow freedom of religion, freedom of education, freedom of speech and
other democratic principles.
											ENDS

>From notes@xxxxxxx Mon Aug 17 08:04:13 1998
>Date: 17 Aug 1998 07:07:29
>From: hlaing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: Reuters-FOCUS-Yangon says Suu Kyi party ``Number One Enemy''
>To: Recipients of burmanet-l <burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>FOCUS-Yangon says Suu Kyi party ``Number One Enemy''
>08:58 a.m. Aug 17, 1998 Eastern
>
>By Aung Hla Tun
>
>YANGON, Aug 17 (Reuters) - Myanmar's military rulers issued thinly
veiled
>threats against opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi and her party on
Monday
>in an apparent attempt to get her to call off her six-day roadside
protest.

>Having sent a parasol, cakes and drinks to Suu Kyi's protest site and
set
>up a mobile bathroom ``to ensure her maximum comfort and welfare'' last
>week, the government on Monday denounced her National League for
Democracy
>(NLD) as the ``Number One Enemy.''
>
>``Anyone going counter to the public will not live long,'' all three
>Myanmar state-owned newspapers said in a commentary.
>
>Suu Kyi, winner of the 1991 Nobel Peace Prize, and three companions
have
>been stuck in a minivan on a bridge at Anyarsu, about 30 km (20 miles)
>southwest of Yangon, since Wednesday.
>
>Authorities have refused to let them proceed to visit supporters in
Pathein
>township, about 60 km (100 miles) further to the west and they in turn
have
>refused demands to return to Yangon.
>
>Diplomats say the standoff is designed by the NLD to focus world
attention
>on its demand that the government convene a parliament of members
elected
>at polls in 1990 by August 21.
>
>The NLD won the election by a landslide but the military ignored the
>result.
>
>Suu Kyi's protest follows a similar six-day standoff which was ended
>forcibly by the military on July 29.
>
>The government says she can remain in Anyarsu ``as long as conditions
>remain safe'' but cannot go to Pathein as this would mean travelling in
>dangerous part of the country.
>
>It has ignored pressure from abroad to cede power to the NLD and has
>ridiculed the party's ultimatum and roadside protests by sending gifts
>including a beach umbrella.
>
>Diplomats say the government's strategy appears to be to try to
minimise
>the impact of Suu Kyi's protest by making it look like a camping
holiday.

>``Ms Suu Kyi, U Hla Pe and their two chauffeurs are continuing taking
rest
>in a camping vehicle near Anyarsu, a small but picturesque village
outside
>Yangon,'' it said in a statement on Monday.
>
>It said officials had provided Suu Kyi with fresh fruit for breakfast
while
>the others enjoyed ``the famous Anyarsu noodles and tea'' each morning
at a
>nearby restaurant.
>
>However, the NLD's central executive committee said the authorities had
>provided no food and the protesters' supplies might no longer be
>sufficient.
>
>A statement from the committee expressed concern for their health and
said
>the NLD had asked Prime Minister General Than Shwe for permission to
send
>Suu Kyi's doctor to her. It said the authorities would be responsible
for
>the protesters' health.
>
>Suu Kyi suffered dehydration after the last standoff.
>
>The commentaries in the New Light of Myanmar and other newspapers
accused
>``internal destructionists'' of working against the national interest
and
>added: ``The people can regard the National League for Democracy as
Number