AFP-Albright sees "moment of truth"

Albright sees "moment of truth" in democracy push for Myanmar
Fri 14 Aug 98 - 18:17 GMT

WASHINGTON, Aug 14 (AFP) - US Secretary of State Madeleine Albright,
seeking Japan's support for her democracy drive in Myanmar, said Friday the
standoff with opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi had reached its "moment of
truth."

Aung San Suu Kyi was locked in a roadside confrontation with authorities
for a third day Friday after she tried to travel outside the capital to
meet with supporters.

"Aung San Suu Kyi is again asserting her basic right to move freely in her
country," said Albright at the outset of a meeting here with visiting
Japanese Foreign Minister Masahiko Komura.

"This is a moment of truth in our effort to promote dialogue in Burma, an
effort we need to intensify in coming days," she said.

The opposition leader was stopped at a checkpoint 30 kilometers (19 miles)
west of the capital Yangon while trying to meet supporters in the western
city of Basseinduring.

It was Aung San Suu Kyi's fourth failed attempt to travel to meet
provincial supporters in little over a month.