Reuters-Myanmar says Suu Kyi given (r)

Re: Reuters- Myanmar says Suu Kyi given beach umbralla,chairs

>YANGON, Aug 14 (Reuters) - Myanmar's military rulers said on Friday
>they had provided a beach umbrella and other items to ensure the
>comfort of opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi in her road standoff
>with the authorities.
>Yangon has rebuffed growing international calls for change.

Dear Friends,

We got to be more prepared and careful when SPDC starts to behave
something so out of the ordinary this way and yet it can be so stubborn
and refuse to change at the same time. I hope the following
course of events shall serve as a good reminder not to let ourselves
digressing away from our main objectives and fall into their trap.

Ne Win seized power after an almost bloodless coup on March 2, 1962. He
ordered to put down the first ever students led anti-military regime
protest at the Rangoon University on the evening of July 7, 1962 killing
hundreds of students inside their own university campus.
Until then, never did we know that Ne Win, the wellkown womaniser and
gambler could be a totalitarian and a ruthless dictator.

In 1968, Ne Win allowed the formation of the IUAB by most of the jailed
politicians who were freed in 1966. In 1969, he even consulted the board
but only to reject its proposal to replace the military regime with a
national government which includes fomer politicans, army officers,
representatives of the ethinic minorities and civilians. The reasons
given for the rejection were that the proposal was irrelevant at the
time since the RC 'did not intend to hang on to power indefinitley', the
buzzword that his successors SPDC/SLORC would still continue to use
until now.

Though this particular event took place in 1969, the kind of tricks that
the SPDC/SLORC would be using to play on the democracy activists in
Burma could be the same. So, let us not be taken in by the similar
staged acts.

Stay united and follow the leads of the NLD all the way. Unity is
strength.

Minn Kyaw Minn
==============

>From notes@xxxxxxx Fri Aug 14 07:58:53 1998
>Date: 14 Aug 1998 07:29:19
>From: hlaing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: Reuters-Myanmar says Suu Kyi given beach umbrella, chairs
>To: Recipients of burmanet-l <burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>Myanmar says Suu Kyi given beach umbrella, chairs
>05:10 a.m. Aug 14, 1998 Eastern
>
>YANGON, Aug 14 (Reuters) - Myanmar's military rulers said on Friday
they
>had provided a beach umbrella and other items to ensure the comfort of
>opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi in her road standoff with the
>authorities.
>
>The 1991 Nobel Peace Prize winner, a senior member of her National
League
>for Democracy (NLD), and two drivers were still stuck on a country road
on
>Friday, prevented by the military from visiting supporters in western
>Myanmar.
>
>They were stopped by police in their minivan on Wednesday.
>The trip was a repeat of one last month that led to a six-day standoff
in
>her car and was ended forcibly on July 29.
>
>The NLD say the government is infringing their human rights by
preventing
>them from travelling.
>
>The government says it cannot allow Suu Kyi and her companions to
endanger
>themselves by travelling in the western part of Myanmar which it says
is
>violent.
>
>``Ms Suu Kyi, U Hla Pe and their two chauffeurs continued to rest in a
>camping vehicle near Anyarsu village outside Yangon today, while the
>government of Myanmar made every effort to ensure their comfort and
>safety,'' the goverment said in a statement.
>
>``In order to provide for their comfort and welfare, government
officials
>have provided a beach umbrella, some garden chairs and a selection of
>journals to help Ms Suu Kyi pass the time,'' it said
>
>It said Suu Kyi could stay in Anyarsu ``as long as conditions remain
safe''
>and would be free to travel to Pathein, her destination on Wednesday,
when
>security conditions permitted.
>
>``The government has provided an ambulance exclusively for their use.
There
>are not many ambulances in Yangon, however, and the government hopes
that
>Ms Suu Kyi and her companions will return home soon, so that the
ambulance
>and medical staff may be put back to use helping the truly needy.''
>
>Foreign governments have called on Yangon to open a dialogue with Suu
Kyi,