The 18 Protestors

Am I alone in thinking unworthy thoughts- that the 18 people now under
arrest in Rangoon for handing our democracy cards, did so in the full
knowledge that they would be taken into custody: that they wanted to be
arrested? Is it only my suspicious mind that suggests that the SPDC let them
come in, that they knew they were activists and simply sat back and waited
until they broke the law?
I guess you could say that these 18 activists have turned the spotlight on
the junta- but Daw Aung San Suu Kyi does that anyway and much more
effectively. Sorry, but I do not have much sympathy for the 18 - one taste
of real arrest in Insein Jail in a stinking filthy cell with the smell of
fear and vomit around them , and we would perhaps see who if any were the
real activists. Actually I think they are simply self-indulgent, and causing
so much flutter amongst the embassies that the real work of confronting the
junta has been side-lined.

Paul Webb
Darwin
Northern Territory