AFP-Myanmar tensions soar as Aung S

Myanmar tensions soar as Aung San Suu Kyi blocked from leaving Yangon
Wed 12 Aug 98 - 12:22 GMT
YANGON, Aug 12 (AFP) - Political tensions soared in Myanmar Wednesday as
the junta again blocked opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi from leaving the
capital to visit provincial supporters, diplomats said.
Eighteen foreign activists meanwhile spent a fourth day in detention for
allegedly seeking to incite unrest by handling out leaflets on human rights
and democracy. The US demanded its nationals be freed.
Diplomats said the Nobel peace laureate was blocked 25 kilometres (15
miles) outside Yangon as she tried to make her way to the town of Bessein,
125 kilometres (75 miles) to the west -- her fourth such failed attempt in
just over a month.
They said she was stopped in almost the same place as nearly three weeks
ago but this time was travelling in a minibus rather than a car.
In the last incident, the National League for Democracy (NLD) leader was
forcibly driven back to Yangon after refusing to turn back and spending six
days in her sedan. That was her third failed attempt in three weeks to
leave Yangon and she later pledged to try again.
There was no immediate comment from either the junta or oppposition on her
latest bid.
"It looks like we are in for the same thing this time," said a western
diplomat. "I understand they have more supplies, food and water. They are
better prepared to sit it out."
One envoy commented: "If she wants the publicity she will certainly get it.
But it is ill-timed given the foreigners are still being held and the
foreign media is more interested in that."
A government security team, ostensibly deployed to guard Aung San Suu Kyi,
was withdrawn last week at her request. The junta Tuesday said it no longer
took responsibility for her safety.
The NLD said its young supporters would protect her.
It said its members and supporters had suffered constant harassment since
the party in June told the junta it must convene parliament by August 21 or
face unspecified consequences.
The United States, meanwhile, demanded the junta immediately release six
Americans detained in Yangon along with 12 other foreigners for allegedly
inciting unrest.
"We are now asking for prompt resolution and release of those detained," a
US embassy spokesman in Yangon told AFP by telephone.
The group was rounded up Sunday while handing out pamphlets urging people
to remember the 10th anniversary of a bloody military crackdown on
pro-democracy demonstrators on August 8, 1988.
"We regard the passing out of leaflets as a normal and natural activity and
freedom of expression in our country," the spokesman added. "These were
simply benign statements.
"We hope for their release and that's what we are urging."
The detainees were six US nationals, three Thais, three Malaysians, three
Indonesians, two Filipinos and one Australian. Ten were male and eight
female.
Diplomats visited the 18 Tuesday and embassy sources said several of the
foreign missions had requested access again Wednesday.
The activists Wednesday spent their fourth day in detention, with all in
high spirits but uncertainty surrounding their fate, diplomats said.
Lengthy items on state television showed some eating and drinking together
but gave no indication what action authorities planned to take.
The television broadcast also showed mug-shots and some pairs of shoes with
the soles slit open, apparently showing how the business-card-sized
leaflets were smuggled into the country.
Exiled pro-democracy groups have called for a mass campaign of civil
disobedience in Myanmar and warned of confrontation if the junta does not
convene the parliament elected in 1990 by the August 21 deadline.
The NLD won the 1990 elections by a landslide but the junta has refused to
give up power.