Release International Democracy Act

Democratic Burmese Students Organization (USA)

Statement on the arrest of eighteen international democracy activists in
Burma
Date. August 11, 1998

Democratic Burmese Students Organization (USA) calls for the immediate
release of 18 democracy activists including 6 Americans arrested on
August 9, 1998 by the Burmese military in Rangoon. Eighteen activists,
six Americans, three Thais, three Malaysians, three Indonesians, two
Filipinos and an Australian. The youngest one is a nineteen year old
female student from American University in Washington DC. They were
arrested in Rangoon on August 9, 1998 under charges of "inciting social
unrest" while they were handing leaflets saying, "We are your friends
from around the world." "We have not forgotten you." "We support your
hopes for human rights and democracy." "8-8-88 Don?t Forget." "Don?t
give up." On August 8, 1988 thousands of students and civilians who were
peacefully demonstrating for democracy and human rights,  were brutally
gunned downed by the Burmese military. Thousands also have been sent to
detention centers. Burma has been under the same military regime since
1962 military coup. There has been no freedom of expression, association
or speech, and opposition members are punished severely.

We denounce the Burmese military?s refusal to allow the consular access
to the activists for three days. It violates the international law and
the regime will have to hold the responsibility for the well beings of
the activists. Burmese military regime is notorious for its treatment to
the prisoners.

We salute them for their courage and sympathy to oppressed Burmese
people. These activists give Burmese people a hope that their struggle
to freedom is not forgotten by the world. Letting the Burmese people
know that they have friends around the world and their struggle have not
been forgot hardly constitutes the regime?s charge of "incitement to
riot with street violence (and) bloodshed".
We share the distress of the families. The regime said they are "agents
of saboteur"; however, we would like the world to know that they are
"angels of hope and freedom".