Australia Woman Detained in Myanmar

Australia Woman Detained in Myanmar Identified as Alison Vicary

Yangon, Myanmar, Aug. 10 (Bloomberg) -- An Australian woman arrested by the
Myanmar government for handing out leaflets the military regime considers
seditious has been identified as Alison Vicary, 35, an economics lecturer at
Macquarie University in Sydney, Agence France-Presse reported. Her brother,
Peter Vicary, said he had been contacted by Australian foreign affairs
officials who are trying to contact his sister in Myanmar, though he has heard
no further details on where she was being held or whether she had been
charged. ``We have been contacted by the department of foreign affairs and
trade, who have indicated that they are aware of the situation and they are
endeavoring to make contact with my sister,'' Peter Vicary, media relations
manager at Westpac Banking Corp. said.

Alison Vicary was one of 18 foreigners arrested in the country, formerly known
as Burma, a day after the 10th anniversary of an uprising against military
rule, in which 3,000 people are believed to have died.