REGARDING SPDC/SLORC 'INVITATION' T

/* Written 10 Aug 7:00am 1998 by drunoo@xxxxxxxxxxxx in igc:reg.burma *
/* -----------" SPDC/SLORC INVITATION TO U AUNG SHWE "------------ */

COMMENT ON THE SPDC/SLORC INVITATION TO NLD CHAIRMAN U AUNG SHWE
>From the press releases of National League for Democracy (2) and
Burmese military authorities(1), it has been learnt that the SPDC/SLORC
Deputy Minister for Home Affairs sent an invitation to the Chairman of
National League for Democracy. The NLD press release indicates that
the invitation by SPDC/SLORC did not include Daw Aung San Suu Kyi,
U Tin Oo and U Kyi Maung. Furthermore, the invitation did not
specifically mention about the purpose of invitation or meeting.
NLD Chairman, therefore, has to turn down the "invitation", it is
reported.

>From our past experiences, SPDC/SLORC often use the news of such
meeting with NLD leaders to their advantage. For example, while nothing
substantial being planned to discuss at the meeting, SPDC/SLORC
hailed such meeting as a break-through towards democratization in
Burma so as to mitigate the international community's concern.
This is a likely reason the NLD Chairman, this time, is refusing to
accept the rather vague "invitation" from SPDC/SLORC. The NLD decision
is certainly a correct one.

It is also unreasonable to exclude the 3-prominent NLD-CEC members from
any kind of political talks. SPDC/SLORC must, in principle, be prepare
to meet NLD-CEC as a whole if there were to be a successful dialogue.
These prominent NLD-CEC members will also be important political
figures who directly influence in the running of Burma parliament
in near future. It is better for SPDC/SLORC to familiarise to working
with these people.

Unfortunately, the SPDC/SLORC still doesn't appears to be ready to engage
with the opposition in a forthright and sincere manner. It appears
playing
around with the usual tricks to avoid entering dialogue with NLD.
The political as well as financial crisis facing SPDC/SLORC appears
to be enormous. Whilst the rice export has totally collapsed since
last year, the external reserve has dwindled to a dangerous level.
SPDC/SLORC may not be able to service the external debts in the long
run. The ASEAN states and China -in the long run- are certainly not
in the capable position to help-out Burma's financial crisis. The only
way out to this financial mess seems to be convening parliament,
which has the authority to properly deal with Burma's creditors and
international financial institutions, such as IMF and World Bank.
SPDC/SLORC must not hinder the process of convening the parliament.

With best regards, U Ne Oo.
/* (1) SPDC/SLORC PRESS RELEASE ON 'INVITITION' FOR A MEETING */

Subject: Myanmar Embassy in Washington, DC press release 7-98
To: Recipients of burmanet-l <burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx>

EMBASSY OF THE UNION OF MYANMAR
WASHINGTON,  DC ,  PRESS   RELEASE   7 / 98  7 August 1998

THE NLD AGAIN TURNS DOWN INVITATION TO MEET

	The NLD which has been sending letters to the authorities
concerned almost
on a daily basis has once again rejected their offer to meet . In order that
frank and open discussions may be made regarding the letters, the authorities
invited the Chairman of the NLD U Aung Shwe to the Office of the
Ministers on
Theinbyu Road on 8 August 1998 at 9 A.M. The letter of invitation was signed
by the Deputy Minister for Home Affairs, Brigadier-General Thura Myint Maung
himself. U Aung Shwe acknowledged receipt of the letter on 7 August at 10:30
A.M. and informed the authorities that the invitation would be submitted to
the NLD Executive Committee. Subsequently, at 4:20 P.M. the same day he
replied that the invitation could not be accepted.

	In reality, those who profess to be politicians, should nor fail to
appreciate the importance of striking while the iron is hot and should
not let
slip an opportunity to enter into wide-ranging discussions that could
lead to
conciliatory talks. But regretably, the NLD which has always maintained a
confrontational stance towards the authorities, decided to turn down the
invitation. Indeed, the initiation of such measured steps are necessary to
establish confidence between two sides.

/* (2) NLD's Press release regarding the "invitation" from SPDC/SLORC */

trsKd;om;'Drkdua&pDtzGJhcsKyf
trSwf (97'c) taemufa&GS*kHwkdifvrf;
A[ef;jrdK@e,f/ &efukefjrKdh

a}unmcsuftrSwf- 22 (8'98)

1// trsKd;om;'Drdkua&pDtzGJ@csKyf OuUXtm;/ jynfxJa&;0ef}uD;Xme/
'kwd,0ef}uD;u 8-8-98 aehwGif 4if;tm;awGhqkH&ef   J J zdwf}um;jcif;   J
J[laom ta}umif;t&mjzifh ,aehwGifpmay;ykdhygonf//

2// TpmESifhywfoufI tzJGhcsKyf.oabmxm;rsm;rSm/ atmufygwkdhjzpfygonf//

(u) zdwf}um;jcif;qkdonfESifh
tzGJhcsKyfOuUXoGm;a&muf&efta}umif;rvkHavmufyg//
zdwf}um;onfhta}umif;udpPukdod&Sd&efvdktyfygonf//

(c)ta}umif;udpPod&Sd&ygrS/ rnfokdhqufvufaqmif&Gufrnfukd tzJGhcsKyfonf
ekdifiHa&;ygwDjzpfonfhtm;avsmfpGm pOf;pm;ekdifrnfjzpfygonf//
4if;jyiftzGJhcsKyfuvnf; vkdtyfonfhjyifqifrSkhrsm;
pDpOfekdifrnfjzpfygonf//

3// 4if;jyiftzGJhcsKyfOuUXxHokdh pmukdvma&mufay;tyfonfh AkdvfrSK;ol&u
OuUXvma&mufygv#if OD;wifOD;/ OD;}unfarmifESifh
a':atmifqef;qk}unfwkdhrSty/ tjcm;A[kdtvkyftrSKaqmifrsm;
wufa&mufEldifonf[khajymjyjcif;ukd vufrcHeldifyg// ygwDpkH'Drdkua&pD
taxGaxGa&G;aumufyGJ usif;ya&; aumfr&Sif. a}unmcsuftrSwf- 245ukd
jyef}unfh&ef[k pmay;vmoltm;ajymjyvkdufygonf/ wkdhukd odom&ef
a}unmtyfygonf//

							    A[dktvkyftrSKaqmiftzGJ@

trsKd;om;'Drdkua&pDtzGJ@csKyf

&efukefjrdK@