CNC's Statement on 10th Anniversary

STATEMENT ON 10TH ANNIVERSARY OF 8/8/88(QUADRUPLE EIGHT)

On this  historical and memorable day in our struggle for democracy in
Burma, the oppressed and the poor from every nook and corner of our country
took part to protest against the dictatorial rule for over a period of more
than a quarter of a century.  It is not an exaggeration to say that a
generation is lost in the hands of ruthless military junta. This event
since that time took the headlines in news media and being recorded as one
of the greatest and just struggle of humanity against inequality and
injustice in any form.

This momentous uprising began from an ordinary, seemingly innocuous event
as a result of the dispute between university students and a group of
laymen at a teashop in one of the suburban areas of Rangoon, the Capital of
 Burma. However, the military resorted to brutal suppression of students
who stood for fair and just settlement of the dispute . This led  to
subsequent demonstrations, bloodshed, gang rapes by the security forces
including prison guards and innumerable arrest of University students all
over the country. The Rangoon University campus and its beautiful
surroundings were tainted with the blood spillage of the students shot down
by the machineguns of the military who have not yet learned to settle the
disputes peacefully and justly. The people all over the country became
unbearable, restless and finally took to the streets on 8/8/88 to protest
for the end of  the military rule and demanded the establishment of
multi-party democracy.

This is actually a symptom or a phenomenon in general of a deep seated,
hidden disease :- mistrust between the Burmans and other Nationals as a
result of negligence and violations of the rights of other Nationals by the
successive governments ruled by mainly Burmans after the  independence from
the British. As a results of these inhumane and unjust acts, the civil war
broke out and continues even today, spanning over a period of half a
century. Our country is rather like a family where brothers killed their
own , raped their own sisters and tortured their own kith and kin since
after the independence. This is the political basis or the root cause of
social, economic and cultural crises in present day Burma being haunted by
lack of freedom, democracy and violations of human rights under the
military dictatorship.

Therefore, Chin National Council will stand firmly and steadfastly in the
just struggle to get rid of any dictators who create mistrust and discord
amongst all the brothers of this country . It is our determined and
ultimate goal to restore self determination rights of all nationals in the
country- we consider this task as an unavoidable , historic and national
cause. Each and every individual / national will live freely and unite
peacefully to build a future society - a federal union based on mutual
understanding,  respect for equal rightsand trust amongst all the
nationals. We make a vow on this special day that in building a peaceful
and prosperous society in the future, we will join hands together with all
other nationals through various non-violent means and approaches.

To all respected and dear Nationals:  let us continue our just struggle
with unswerving devotion and persevere to scale up our momentum of the
struggle!

Chin National Council
August 8, 1998. New Delhi