A Follow-up Report on RFA:

Special Report on RFA's Anti-Democratic Movement Coverage

This report is a follow-up for the IMRCB's posting on July 26,1998.

Introduction
=========
Credibility, Reliability, Neutrality (Unbiasedness) are integral qualities for
the news services, especially for the ones that cover political news mostly.
When we closely examine the RFA's June 10 airing of ex-Brig-Gen Aung Gyi's
interview with Daw Tin Htar Swe, there occurs a highly questionable violation
of basic media ethic in the way RFA managed to get him (Aung Gyi) interviewed.

Aung Gyi's Interview with Daw Tin Htar Swe
=================================
It is not a coincidence that Brig-Gen Aung Gyi's interview was aired.  It was
well-planned.  The listeners must critically question how and who arranged
this interview, which dominantly contained pro-BSPP, SLORC, SPDC's ways of
handling Burmese politics and anti-NLD, specifically, anti Daw Aung San Suu
Kyi's activities in Burma. As you question this "how" and "who," you will come
to know "why" gradually.

The rumor about the coming of "a Burmese general" to the US has been creeping
into Burmese community in Washington, D.C.  But, none of them had slight idea
about who that general would be and why he was coming to the US. Not to
mention about where that general is going to stay while he was on (business or
non-business) tour.

As we examine deeper into how the arrangement for this interview is done, we
come to know answers for all 5Ws 1H questions.

Why Aung Gyi is Here
================
Aung Gyi has no other business plan to do in the US (He too mentioned it
clearly in his interview).  The only plan was to give RFA an interview about
his opinion on the ongoing Burmese political problems.
As believers in freedom of expression, we welcome his coming and its
intention, but not the way he came to USA.

The Way Aung Gyi Came to the US.
==========================
Our questions become clear as we came to know "where" Brig. Aung Gyi slept
during his short stay for this special mission in the US.
Brig. Aung Gyi was welcome by nobody else.  U Soe Thin, the Director of RFA-
Burmese Section, arranged all Brig. Aung Gyi's living schedule.

(We are not sure of whether or not RFA allocated any news-coverage fee for
this kind of special arrangement, such as hotel, security, etc.,.)

Brig. Aung Gyi stayed at Win Maung Maung's residence.  (Refer to our recent
posting.) Win Maung Maung is one of RFA employees in Account Section.  He is a
long-term friend of U Soe Thin and both together got degree in Economics.

Therefore, it becomes clear to us that U Soe Thin is the sole sponsor for the
whole interview-arrangement.

How The Interview Was Conducted
==========================
If the listener pays careful attention to the broadcast of that interview, she
or he will definitely come to know it was not singlehandedly conducted by Daw
Tin Htar Swe alone.  The first portion of the interview significantly differs
from the later one.  The first did not contain results from the direct
questioning method.  Someone other than Daw Tin Htar Swe must be interviewing
Brig. Aung Gyi.  All questions paved Brig Aung Gyi to voice his pro-military
attitudes, such as portraying Ne Win as the most and only capable man to
change Burma's current political scenario. The interview was non-interactive.
It means Daw Tin Htar Swe was not surely the one who conducted the first part.

Even though she is the ex-daughter-in-law of U Lwin, the former Director of
Defense Service Intelligence, Daw Tin Htar Swe appeared quite differently from
the first part of the interview with the questions, which probably satisfy the
Burmese listeners, who know Burma politics, in the second part.  Her interview
was obviously interactive with actualities and done professionally.  By
comparing both parts, we can infer that primary questions were given to Brig.
Aung Gyi by the director of RFA-Burmese Section and the secondary questions
asked by Daw Tin Htar Swe were immediate.  It appeared that Daw Tin Htar Swe
was able to avoid her being made a scapegoat  by her boss.

(The readers can obtain the recorded tapes on this particular broadcast from
us for their own analysis. Or we will upload an audio-file on one of our
contributors' webpages.)

Journalistic Points of View
===================
The way U Soe Thin, the director of RFA-Burmese Section, arranged the
interview was not in accordance with existing norms and conducts in
journalism.  It is a manner of "siding" with or "favoring" a political group.
It is an obvious conspiracy between pro-military and RFA director, who himself
was one of their loyal foreign servicemen.

On His Way Back to Burma
====================
Early in the month of June, Brig Aung Gyi stopped at London on his way back
home.  He met Sayadaw U Rewata, who is known as a religious leader having
extraordinary influence on the SLORC generals.  U Rewata asked Brig. Aung Gyi
if he would like to give the BBC an interview. His reply to Sayadaw was short
but very clear.  "I have told everything to RFA."

Recommendation
============
1.  RFA authorities must immediately suspend U Soe Thin from the service.
2.  RFA must take suitable legal action against U Soe Thin if he is found
conspiring with the Brig Aung Gyi to broadcast anti-NLD and anti-Daw Aung San
Suu Kyi interview.

Conclusion
========
An Action Committee must be formed to correct RFA's misadventures.  This
Action Committee must include organizations and individuals who have genuine
concern for promoting the RFA as pro-democracy and human rights agency.  It
can be formed anywhere and any means.  It can be an online committee.  The
closer to Washington DC, the better.  The individuals and organizations must
convey their concerns by sending their signed letters directly to the RFA
management at the following address:

Richard Richter
President
Radio Free Asia
2025 M Street, NW Street 300
Washington DC 20336
Fax: (202) 530 7795

Our Note:
=======
As a research center, we cannot participate in this committee but we will
fully back that committee up with the substantiated information to win this
case.  Winning against the fake, yet pro-military journalists in RFA might be
a small victory but a great relief for us, the democrats.

We firmly stand behind all the facts we included in our reports regarding the
RFA crisis.  We do it as an obligation to promote the RFA's image as neutral,
pro-human rights and credible news agency being  serviced by quality-
journalists.

			"ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS."

Myo Myint Aung
Coordinator
Independent Media & Research Center of Burma
In Support of All Truth Lovers