Albright Wants U.N Role in Burma (r)

RE: Albright wants U.N role in Burma
====================================

An Urgent Message to the Leaders of the NLD Party !!

Now that the Secretary General of the U.N, Mr Kofi Annan agreed to
continue to keep watch over the situation in Burma, we would like to
request the leaders of the NLD party to urge Daw Aung Suu Kyi to take
rest to rebuit her health and avoid going out to see the party members
for the time being. Absolutely, there is no need for her to sacrifice
her health or her life. A new strategy should be explored at this point
of time.

The people of Burma need her leadership at this very important and
critical transition period. The time will come when her presence outside
her home is much needed. Her leadership coupled with the people's power
will make all the difference.

In soliderity with the NLD's movement,

Minn Kyaw Minn
==============

>From notes@xxxxxxx Fri Jul 31 14:02:17 1998
>Date: 31 Jul 1998 13:02:50
>From: RANGOONP@xxxxxxx
>Subject: Albright Wants U.N Role in Burma
>To: Recipients of burmanet-l <burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>Albright Wants U.N. Role in Myanmar
>
>By TOM RAUM
>.c The Associated Press
>
>SYDNEY, Australia (AP) - Secretary of State Madeleine Albright asked
U.N.
>chief Kofi Annan to intervene in the Myanmar crisis, saying the
military
>regime had ``increased its isolation'' by harsh treatment of Nobel
laureate
>Aung San Suu Kyi.
>
>Albright and Australian Foreign Minister Alexander Downer suggested
that
>political tensions in the nation also known as Burma could escalate.
>
>``There is widespread concern in Asia,'' Downer said Friday at a news
>conference with Albright after U.S.-Australian talks.
>
>Albright was heading to New Zealand on Saturday, her last stop in a
10-day
>tour of Asia.
>
>Albright and Downer called Annan on Friday to make a direct appeal for
>intervention in Myanmar. ``He said he was going to take a very careful
look,''
>Albright said.
>
>U.S. officials said they expect Annan to go along.
>
>``Burma has moved further away from reconciliation and has increased
its
>isolation,'' Albright said, citing the standoff between the military
regime
>and Suu Kyi.
>
>Downer raised the possibility that refugees from Myanmar soon may flock
>Thailand.
>
>Albright has sought to rally world opinion against the military regime
and its
>treatment of Suu Kyi, an opposition party leader and winner of the 1991
Nobel
>Peace Prize.
>
>On Wednesday, government police forcibly returned Suu Kyi to her home
in the
>capital of Yangon, ending a six-day highway standoff.
>
>``We had a discussion with the secretary general telling him that we
were very
>concerned about the fact that it is difficult for diplomats on the
ground to
>be involved in some of he negotiating processes,'' Albright told a news
>conference.
>
>Albright said she urged Annan to get personally involved. Albright said
she
>plans further discussions when both she and Annan are back in the
United
>States.
>
>``I think he joined our concern about the fact that the handling of her
was so
>inappropriate in terms of the way that one handles any citizen of a
country,
>much less the leader of an opposition (party). And he wanted to hear
more from
>us about what we knew.''
>
>Annan had already planned to send his envoy, the assistant
secretary-general
>for political affairs, Alvaro de Soto, to Myanmar this fall, possibly
in
>October.
>
>Those plans have not changed, said U.N. spokesman Juan Carlos Brandt.
>
>De Soto plans to discuss the human rights situation there with
government
>officials and will prepare a report.
>
>Annan will continue to keep watch over the situation, he said.
>
>Suu Kyi's National League for Democracy party won parliamentary
elections in
>1990 but never was allowed to take office because the government
annulled the
>vote.
>
>On other issues, Albright said the United States hopes to resolve a
dispute
>with Australia over wheat exports to Indonesia. President Clinton's
>announcement that he would provide free wheat to Indonesia as a
humanitarian
>gesture has angered Australian wheat farmers, who contend it will
undercut
>their sales.
>
>``Our programs are intended to feed hungry people,'' Albright said,
noting
>that the Asian financial crisis and political turmoil in Indonesia has
made
>hunger there widespread.
>
>In an attempt to meet Australian concerns, Albright said the United
States
>will do its best to ensure that wheat gets to those who are needy, and
does
>not distort markets.
>
>After delivery of 500,000 tons of wheat that Clinton had already
promised
>Indonesia, the government will hold off on another one million tons and
>distribute it ``only if there is a need for it,'' Albright said.
>
>Defense Secretary William Cohen, who also attended the conference, said
the
>U.S.-Australian talks also dealt with efforts to protect
defense-related