U.N Asked To Intervene in Myanamar (r)

RE: U.N Asked to intervene in Myanmar
=====================================

It appears that it is not wise to take chances on the SPDC alone, now.
No point in letting Daw Aung San Suu Kyi suffer when we know very well
that SPDC determined to use even much stronger force on her or anyone
opposing their views. SPDC would not care if the protest is
a non-violent or a peaceful one. They are the animals. They are all
prepared to act brutally. We all can't wait to see that happens.

We cannot let her get hurt anymore. Daw Aung San Suu Kyi is very
valuable to the people of Burma to loose. We should ask the world's body
like the U.N to mediate the peace talk between the NLD including the
ethnic minorities and the SPDC.

So, the NLD should consider officially asking the U.N to intervene
before anything happens uncontrollably.

Minn Kyaw Minn

>From notes@xxxxxxx Fri Jul 31 07:00:12 1998
>Date: 31 Jul 1998 05:56:24
>From: RANGOONP@xxxxxxx
>Subject: U.N Asked To Intervene in Myanamar
>To: Recipients of burmanet-l <burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>U.N. Asked To Intervene in Myanmar
>
>By TOM RAUM
>.c The Associated Press
>
>SYDNEY, Australia (AP) - Secretary of State Madeline Albright and her
>Australian counterpart today asked U.N. chief Kofi Annan to become
involved in
>escalating tensions in Myanmar. ``He said he was going to take a very
careful
>look,'' Albright said.
>
>Albright and Australian Foreign Minister Alexander Downer spoke after
meeting
>on a range of U.S.-Australian issues. Also participating were U.S.
Defense
>Secretary William Cohen and Australian Defense Minister Ian McLachlan.
>
>``Burma has moved further away from reconciliation and has increased
its
>isolation,'' Albright said, citing the standoff between the military
regime
>and opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi.
>
>Albright and Downer both said conditions in Myanmar, also known as
Burma, are
>worsening and that the crisis extends beyond human rights issues.
>
>Downer raised the possibility that refugees from Myanmar soon may flock
>Thailand.
>
>``I know already that this is a concern of the Thai government. And
there is
>widespread concern in Asia. That was partly the argument that we made
to the
>secretary general,'' he said.
>
>Albright has sought to rally world opinion against the military regime
and its
>treatment of Suu Kyi, an opposition party leader and Nobel laureate.
>
>Government police on Wednesday forcibly returned Suu Kyi to her home in
the
>capital of Yangon, ending a six-day highway standoff.
>
>Albright on Thursday called the government's actions ``an unacceptable
>violation of human rights.'' Today, she upped the ante further by
trying to
>get the United Nations involved.
>
>``We had a discussion with the secretary general telling him that we
were very
>concerned about the fact that it is difficult for diplomats on the
ground to
>be involved in some of he negotiating processes,'' Albright told a news
>conference.
>
>Annan was urged ``to become personally involved in it. And he was very
>interested in what we were telling him,'' Albright said. She said she
and
>Annan would talk more about the situation over the next few days, when
they
>both are back in the United States.
>
>``I think he joined our concern about the fact that the handling of her
was so
>inappropriate in terms of the way that one handles any citizen of a
country,
>much less the leader of an opposition (party). And he wanted to hear
more from
>us about what we knew.''
>
>Suu Kyi's National League for Democracy party won parliamentary
elections in
>1990 but never was allowed to take office because the government
annulled the
>vote.
>
>Albright declined to criticize the tactics of Suu Kyi, who has said she
will
>try again to leave the capital. Albright called her ``one of the most
>hardworking and bravest people I have met in my public life'' who has
turned
>to such tactics because ``she has not found any satisfaction.''
>
>The government has blocked her three times this month from leaving the
>capital, saying she was trying to foment unrest.
>
>Meanwhile, Albright said that the United States was trying to resolve a
>dispute with Australia over wheat exports to Indonesia. President
Clinton's
>announcement that he would provide free wheat to Indonesia as a
humanitarian
>gesture has angered Australian wheat farmers, who contend it will
undercut
>their sales.
>
>But Albright said, ``our programs are intended to feed hungry people,''
noting
>that the Asian financial crisis and political turmoil in Indonesia has
made
>hunger there widespread.
>
>In an attempt to meet Australian concerns, Albright said that the
United