The Nation : Myanmar can expect no

July  30 1998-

Myanmar can expect no letup to Thai fire
posted at 14:45 hrs (Bangkok time)

MANILA, July 29 -- Thai Foreign Minister Surin Pitsuwan said Wednesday that
neighbor Myanmar can expect no letup in criticism from Bangkok until
Yangon's junta satisfactorily fixed problems with cross-border
repercussions.

''We have used it and we will continue to express our concern for fear of
unintended interference that could come if the situation is mishandled,''
Surin told a news conference at the end of meetings between Southeast Asian
foreign ministers and their international dialogue partners.

Surin was asked about Bangkok's open criticism of Myanmar's official
policies it holds as the cause of such cross-border problems as political
and economic refugees, drugs, prostitution and the spread of acquired
immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS).

''We have done that and we do hope that whatever has been done here in this
conference will be accepted as a sincere advice and expression of sincere
concern,'' he said.

Surin kicked off a highly contentious Association of Southeast Asian
Nations (ASEAN) conference last week with a proposal to fellow ministers
that the 31 year-old group adopt open criticism of fellow members as normal
practice.

He was rebuffed, ASEAN counterparts resolving uphold the tradition of
non-interference in internal matters of the membership.

But ASEAN's security and trade partners took up the call, focussing the
spotlight on Myanmar, controversially admitted to the regional grouping
last year despite western criticism of the ruling junta's human rights
record.

''I think, from now on I can raise issues without being afraid of being
misunderstood and I think my colleagues have decided that from now on we
will try to enhance our interactions in response to various situations and
the changing times,'' Surin said.

''I think we know what we are talking about and I appreciate that very
much,'' the Thai foreign minister said.

ASEAN groups Brunei, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore,
Thailand and Vietnam.

Dialogue partners joining the ASEAN ministers for a regional forum this
week were Australia, Canada, China, the European Union, India, Japan, New
Zealand, Russia, South Korea and the United States. (AFP)