Appeal Letter to FM of Japan.

------=_NextPart_000_002E_01BDBB01.E33E1520

On behalf of various Burmese organizations in Japan, today we apply this =
appeal letter  to an=20

officer of Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Tokyo, Japan.

Information Committee

Burma Youth Volunteer Association - Japan.

The Honorable Keizo Obuchi

Foreign Minister

Ministry of Foreign Affairs

2-1, Kasumigaseki 3-chome

Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100, Japan

Date - 1998 July 29

Dear Mr. Obuchi:

We would like to request that your government lend its full support to =
Burma's democratic leader Aung San Suu Kyi at this critical moment in =
our country's history.=20

As you know, she and an aide were stopped by the military junta while =
she was exercising her legal right to travel in her own country to meet =
supporters. They have been stuck at the roadblock for five days, and we =
fear that the health and security of Aung San Suu Kyi are in serious =
danger.=20

We would like to thank Japan's representative at the Asean Ministerial =
Meeting in Manila for joining other foreign diplomats in pressuring the =
Burmese foreign minister to improve human rights and and asking that =
Aung San Suu Kyi to be allowed to pass through the police roadblock. =
However, words alone will not be enough to break the stalemate.

During the past decade Asean's policy of "constructive engagement" and =
Japan's "northern wind and sun" policy have clearly failed to improve =
the human rights and political situations in Burma. Burma's Asian =
neighbors need to take a tougher line with the regime, for their own =
sake as well as for the sake of the Burmese people.

We strongly urge the Japanese government to endeavor to negotiate a =
dialogue between Burma's military junta and the country's legally =
elected political party, the National League for Democracy.

Very truly yours,

Burma Youth Volunteer Association - Japan

Burmese Women Union - Japan

National League for Democracy (Liberated Area) - Japan

Students Organization for liberation of Burma

We support the statement above and have solidarity with their activity.

Peoples' Forum on Burma

------=_NextPart_000_002E_01BDBB01.E33E1520

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>
<P>On behalf of various Burmese organizations in Japan, today we apply =
this=20
appeal letter&nbsp; to an&nbsp;</P></DIV>
<DIV>officer of <FONT face=3D"" size=3D2>Ministry of Foreign =
Affairs</FONT> in=20
Tokyo, Japan.</DIV>
<DIV>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>Information Committee</P>
<P>Burma Youth Volunteer Association - Japan.</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>The Honorable Keizo Obuchi</P>
<P><FONT face=3D"" size=3D2>Foreign Minister</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3D"" size=3D2>Ministry of Foreign Affairs</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3D"" size=3D2>2-1, Kasumigaseki 3-chome</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3D"" size=3D2>Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100, </FONT><FONT =
face=3D""=20
size=3D2>Japan</FONT></P>
<P>Date - 1998 July 29</P>
<P>Dear Mr. Obuchi:</P>
<P>We would like to request that your government lend its full support =
to=20
Burma's democratic leader Aung San Suu Kyi at this critical moment in =
our=20
country's history. </P>
<P>As you know, she and an aide were stopped by the military junta while =
she was=20
exercising her legal right to travel in her own country to meet =
supporters. They=20
have been stuck at the roadblock for five days, and we fear that the =
health and=20
security of Aung San Suu Kyi are in serious danger. </P>
<P>We would like to thank Japan's representative at the Asean =
Ministerial=20
Meeting in Manila for joining other foreign diplomats in pressuring the =
Burmese=20
foreign minister to improve human rights and and asking that Aung San =
Suu Kyi to=20
be allowed to pass through the police roadblock. However, words alone =
will not=20
be enough to break the stalemate.</P>
<P>During the past decade Asean's policy of &quot;constructive =
engagement&quot;=20
and Japan's &quot;northern wind and sun&quot; policy have clearly failed =
to=20
improve the human rights and political situations in Burma. Burma's =
Asian=20
neighbors need to take a tougher line with the regime, for their own =
sake as=20
well as for the sake of the Burmese people.</P>
<P>We strongly urge the Japanese government to endeavor to negotiate a =
dialogue=20
between Burma's military junta and the country's legally elected =
political=20
party, the National League for Democracy.</P>
<P>Very truly yours,</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P><B>
<P>Burma Youth Volunteer Association - Japan</P>
<P>Burmese Women Union - Japan</P>
<P>National League for Democracy (Liberated Area) - Japan</P>
<P>Students Organization for liberation of Burma</P></B>
<P>We support the statement above and have solidarity with their=20
activity.</P><B>
<P>Peoples' Forum on Burma</P></B></FONT></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_002E_01BDBB01.E33E1520--