Bangkok Post : Surin urges parties

Bangkok Post
July 28, 1998
Surin urges parties to get on and talk

Foreign Minister Surin Pitsuwan yesterday called on all sides in Burma to
get talking and work towards a new political order in the country.

Addressing the fifth Arf, Mr Surin said reconciliation was vital to bring
stability and prosperity to the nation.

"We, therefore, express our hope that dialogue without preconditions among
all parties in Burma be held with a view to arriving at a mutually
acceptable political consensus that will lay a foundation for a new
political order... accepted by all Burmese," he said.

"Thailand... as a democratic country, is a well-wisher of democracy-loving
people everywhere," he said.

"We do not seek to interfere in the internal affairs of any country but we
will voice our opinion on any issues that impact our country's stability
and our people's well-being. The impact of those issues can also be
considered a form of interference," he added.