Tokyo Activists protest

Tokyo Activists Call for Dialogue between the NLD and Junta Immediately
Tokyo, July 27, 1998

The pro-democracy activists from Tokyo gathered in front of the Burmese
embassy and denounced the Rangoon junta for its restriction against Aung San
Suu Kyi's trip to Bassein in Burma.

17 activists gathered and made a silent protest against in front of the
Burmese embassy at Shinagawa, Tokyo about 10:00 am. They held the placards
that demanded to start dialogue between Aung San Suu Kyi and the junta
immediately and allow to Daw Suu to meet her party members.

One of the activists told that their leader Aung San Suu Kyi was stopped to
meet her party's member in Bassein by the junta. " They (the junta) said
that Daw Aung San Suu Kyi's security group did not accompany her and it was
difficult to let her go ahead to Bassein. It is nonsense and unlawful act".

Another activist said, "we will continue our protest against the military
junta until it allows to meet her members in Bassein". " So, I'm sure, I'll
come here (the embassy) tomorrow".

It is the third time that Aung San Suu Kyi was barred to meet her party
member within a month. On the previous two occasions the junta made the
arrangements for her to meet the members that she wants to see.

Joint Action Committee (Japan)
July 27, 1998