NLD Statement 7(7/98) in English

Translation is not by the NLD and any errors, mistakes and inappropiate
terminology of Law  are the responsibility of the translators:
News & Information Secretariat. FTUB.
++++++++++++++++++++++++

National League for Democracy
No ( 97/B ) West Shwegondaing Road
Bahan Township,  Rangoon

Statement 7(7/98)

1. In accordance with the political party registration law, the NLD is the
lawfully registered political party.

2. In section-4 of the political party registration law, "Any political
party under this law can stand for election after obtaining permission for
registration." According to that section, the NLD contested in the 1990
multi-party general election and won about 82% of the total number of
parliamentary seats.

3. Using their full power and rights freely, the people all together, cast
their votes and elected the members of Parliament. This signifies that the
people like and support the policy and work programme of the NLD.
Therefore, NLD is the political party representing the people.

4. The members of parliament, on behalf of the people have to work for the
benefit of the country and people in the parliament. Since they work for
the country to the people, they are persons of esteem and dignity. In spite
of that, the authority is taking action on those honorable members of
parliament, citing "Hanitual Criminal Offenders Act of 1961/ section
5(1)(Hsalone) (Hsalein) ".

5. This 'Act' is very lowly and is meant for the depraved criminals, who
live by performing the meanest livelihood. Taking action on members of
parliament by citing this 'Act' is especially degrading and derogation
these honorable persons. This is also indirectly belittling and disparaging
the people who cast their votes. The NLD does not accept this.

6. To compensate for the grievances, the NLD chairman went to the chief
court of Justice on 15.7.98 and according to the  regulation 4(kagyi)put up
a petition. This regulation 4(kagyi) was sanctioned by SLORC on 26.9.98,
mentioned in chapter (4).
Act 4(kagyi)means

" The following are the judicial power of the chief court of Justice.
(a) Judging the criminal case and civil case.

7. When the NLD chairman put up the petition as mentioned above, one law
personal returned the petition saying,
" after reading the case citing this sanction, I return it". No law has
been quoted in returning the petition. This action is not at all proper
according to the law. As these actions are act according to the law, they
are opposing the rule of law, those then that it is observed that the
judiciary system is not straight forward.

8. The High Court advocate accompanying the NLD chairman asked, "Is this
incomplete? Must we put up again?". The chairman also asked "Is this a
rejection?".
The law personal replied, "I can not say anything because I am a civil
servant. I just return it". The accompanying advocate added,"Up to this
day,79 persons of our people have had action taken against them by the 1961
Act, and as it is injurious, we are working according to the law as a
remedy. Our petition is put up according to Act - 4(kagyi)".

9. The NLD, using the rights giving by the law acts accordingly. Returning
the petition by the authority concerned is strongly protested and
alenounced,(by the NLD).

Central Executive Committee
National League fro Democracy

Rangoon