Kyodo News : Suu Kyi urges ASEAN to

KYODO NEWS, July 17,1998

Suu Kyi urges ASEAN to back call to convene parliament

Myanmar pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi has urged foreign
ministers of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), who
meet next week in Manila, to support her call on the military regime
to recognize the results of the country's 1990 election by allowing
parliament to be convened by Aug. 21.

 ''I think the first thing they can do is to support our call for
the convening of parliament, and make a very, very firm case for
dialogue toward that process,'' Suu Kyi said in a videotaped
interview Wednesday at her Yangon residence.