Reuter 9/7

Thailand voices concern over Myanmar tension

THAILAND said yesterday that it was concerned about growing political
tension in neighbouring Myanmar and urged restraint by all sides.

"We urge restraint by all sides to avoid violent confrontation between the
opposing forces," foreign ministry spokesman Kobsak Chutikul said. "We as
fellow Asean member countries feel that any new instability in the region
could affect efforts to achieve regional economic rehabilitation."

Political tension between the ruling military State Peace and Development
Council (SPDC) and opposition National League for Democracy (NLD) party led
by Aung San Suu Kyi has been rising since May.

On Tuesday, the military prevented Ms Aung San Suu Kyi and party officials
from travelling north to meet some elected NLD representatives.

The Thai foreign ministry spokesman said any instability or unrest in
Myanmar could lead to problems along the two countries' common border. There
could be a spillover of refugees, border trade might be hampered and drug
suppression activities at the border areas could be affected, he said. --
Reuters