Myanmar says comments on tensions r (r)

Re: Myanmar says comments on tensions regrettable

What a group of "megalomania" we are dealing with in Burma!!. This is
the typical behavior of Ne Win. These guys (SPDC/Ohn Gyaw,etc) are
nothing but ready to act as a mouthpiece of Ne Win. Instead of behaving
themselves and getting down to the meeting with the oppositions to ease
the tension, they will always blame others for their genuine concerns.
They think they are the greatest. I wonder how they have the guts to act
this way at this very crucial time. We wish them good luck.

It was only last year when Burma was allowed to join the ASEAN grouping
and today Ohn Gyaw was made to give lectures to other veteran felllow
ASEAN ministers. I guess more lectures and stern warnings coming up
before or at the forthcoming meeting in Manila.

Will SPDC able to twist the arm of the whole ASEAN grouping or split it?

Minn Kyaw Minn
==============

>From notes@xxxxxxx Wed Jul  8 13:01:46 1998
>Date: 08 Jul 1998 12:38:45
>From: hlaing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: Myanmar says comments on tensions regrettable
>To: Recipients of burmanet-l <burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>Myanmar says comments on tensions regrettable
>09:36 a.m. Jul 08, 1998 Eastern
>
>BANGKOK, July 8 (Reuters) - Myanmar criticised foreign governments on
>Wednesday for comments over rising tension between the ruling junta and
its
>pro-democracy opposition.
>``Recent statements made by certain responsible ministers regarding
their
>concern on the presupposed situation in Union of Myanmar are found to
be
>presumptuous,'' said a statement released by Myanmar's Ministry of
Foreign
>Affairs.
>
>Thailand's foreign ministry said earlier on Wednesday it was concerned
by
>developments in Myanmar and called for restraint between the military
junta
>and the opposition National League for Democracy (NLD).
>
>The United States condemned the government's refusal to allow
opposition
>leader Aung San Suu Kyi to visit her party members.
>
>``The authorities in Myanmar have been exercising utmost restraint in
>dealing with the aggressive and confrontational attitude of certain
>elements,'' the Myanmar statement said.
>
>Myanmar said Thailand's comments could potentially affect relations
between
>the two countries and were against the spirit of the regional grouping,
the
>Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN), of which both
countries
>are members.
>
>``It is regrettable that presumptuous observation and remarks made on
>isolated and wrong information could lead to misunderstanding and a
>misconception not only in bilateral relations but also intra-ASEAN,''
the
>Myanmar statement said.
>
>Thailand earlier said it wished to see an easing of tension in Myanmar
as
>it feared the problem could escalate.
>
>The Thai foreign ministry spokesman said any instability or unrest in
>Myanmar could lead to problems along the common border between the two
>countries.
>
>As a result of any unrest, there could be a spill-over of refugees,
border
>trade might be hampered and drug suppression activities at the border
areas
>might be affected, he said.
>
>``We are concerned about the developments there. We urge restraint by
all
>sides to avoid violent confrontation between the opposing forces,''
Thai
>foreign ministry spokesman Kobsak Chutikul told Reuters.
>
>``We, as fellow ASEAN member countries, feel that any new instability
in
>the region could affect efforts to achieve regional economic
>rehabilitation,'' he said.
>
>Political tension between the ruling military State Peace and
Development