U.S. condemns restrictions on Suu K

U.S. condemns restrictions on Suu Kyi
03:23 p.m Jul 07, 1998 Eastern

WASHINGTON, July 7 (Reuters) - The United States condemned Myanmar on
Tuesday for restricting the movements of opposition leader and Nobel Peace
Prize winner Aung San Suu Kyi.

The military junta said it stopped Suu Kyi from proceeding on a planned
trip to a northern township on Tuesday for her own security and to prevent
her from creating political unrest.

``We condemn the apparent abridgment of Aung San Suu Kyi's right to freedom
of movement and her right to visit whomever she chooses. All Burmese should
enjoy these fundamental rights,'' said U.S. State Department spokesman
James Rubin.

``The restrictions imposed on her are illegal under Burmese law, in our
view, and in any case, are clearly infringements of the basic rights of
freedom of movement,'' he added.

The authorities had told the U.S. embassy in Yangon that police stopped Suu
Kyi and the chairman of the opposition National League for Democracy (NLD),
Aung Shwe, while they were on the way north to visit a party member elected
to parliament.

``It appeared the police had ordered the party leaders to return to Rangoon
(Yangon). However, Aung San Suu Kyi and the party chairman have insisted on
their right to continue on their way for the purpose of visiting this
member of parliament,'' Rubin added.

``We've sought clarification from the government there and expressed our
grave concern to government authorities. We have reaffirmed the strong U.S.
position that freedom of movement should be accorded to members of the
opposition, including Aung San Suu Kyi and the party chairman,'' he said.