The human rights abuses and neglige

The human rights abuses and negligence on wounded soldiers in the SPDC
military.

Name:				Than Naing (a.k.a) Chit San Naing
Father's Name:		U Khin Soe
Mother's Name:		Daw Tin Win
Date of Birth:		1975
Education			8th standard [ Middle school ]
Enlistment date		March 1988
Enlistment No.:		714420
Place of enlistment	Military recruitment camp, Mingladon
Rank:				Coporal
Mother unit 		Light Infantry Regiment   201
				Battalion 22
				Pa An township, Karen state.

When I was 13, while the schools were closed for summer, I ran away from
home.  I enrolled as a new recruit at  Mingaladon Burmese army recruitment
in Rangoon military command.  Sergeant Sein Kyine received my application.
At that time I was too young to send to military training camp and assigned
to do some miscellaneous jobs such as cleaning and washing in the camp for
three months.

Then I was sent to Taung Galay military training camp in Pa-an in Karen
State. After six months of military training I was posted to Light Infantry
Battalion 201 under the supervision of 22nd division. Our unit was ordered
to assault Maw Poe Kay, one of the main camps of KNU. The operation lasted
three months.

The camp which was already abandoned by Karen guerrilla. We found out that
there was no Karen fighters any more and we hoisted a 22nd division flag on
top of the hill of Maw Phoe Kay camp. Major Khin Maung Htway, commander of
LIB 201 and his unit joined us later. Private Win Myint and I were promoted
instantly to lance corporal position right at the Maw Phoe Kay camp. When
we returned to 22nd division we were honored as hero and awarded hero medal.

After another three years in service I was promoted to corporal. In March
1994 our unit was stationed in PineKyone village in Hlaing Bwe Township,
Karen State. At that time I was a section commander.

One of my privates Win Htoo slept on his watch duty and I beat him as a
punishment. He was not satisfied and reported that matter to platoon
commander Lt. Soe Moe Win.  Lt. Soe Moe Win ordered us to fall in line in
the middle of village and slapped on my face before the villagers. I was
very embrassed and we were in a quarrel.  Lt. Soe Moe Win, fired his pistol
in to the air, threatened and cursed me and named fourteen prisoners
including me to serve the army as porter.

I was so embraced and lost my temper. And I shot him thrice with my carbine
and he was wounded on his chest but he was not died
I was court marshaled in South East Command and sentenced three years in
prison with hard labor .I was jailed in Moulmein military prison for two
years and later I was taken to 9 mile labor camp in Paut Pin Kwin, Tavoy
district on July 9, 1996. Incharge of the camp were U Aung Htay Myint and U
Hla Kyine. I was chained in my legs and forced to dug rock, carried soil
and dumped soil.

On March 1997 U Hla Kyine came to us and told that the prisoners who are
getting close to free from their sentence have a chance to serve as a
porter at front line. If we worked as porter we will received 5,000kyats
and at the end of mission certificate of fulfillment of prison term will be
issued.

Soon after we were taken to LIB (61) in Ye, Mon State. We spent one week in
the camp of LIB (61). There were 255 porters including me. We carried
supplies and ammunition. The military unit we served operated in Kyar Inn
Seit Kyi Township. KNU brigade No.6 operated in area too. Ko Win, one of
the porters died of malnutrition during the mission.

Later we came to know that porters fees were collected from the villagers
from near by villages of Ye. Officials from the labor camp received 15,000
kyat for each porter and they deduct 10,000 for them.

Our trip lasted one month. Certificates of fulfillment of prison term were
issued to the porters in Htee Paw Kee village in Kyar Inn Seit Kyi town
ship. But unfortunately, shortly before my certificate of fulfillment of
prison term was issued I stepped on a land mine while I was collecting
firewood for Burmese soldier. My leg was wounded very badly. But I did not
receive proper treatment from them.

When the military column returned to their unit I was left alone in Htee
Paw Khee village. A Karen villager took me to the Thai-Burma border. It
took several days. The condition of he my infected leg was beyond the
treatment and amputated. At the present, People Defense Force is taking
care of me.

Following are my certificates of fulfillment of prison term and certificate
of fulfillment of porter.

By a reporter
Yoma-3
Information Service.