[Some details blanked out or omitted for Internet distribution.]

*** PART 6 OF 7 - SEE OTHER POSTINGS FOR OTHER PARTS OF THIS REPORT ***

_
                                   #5.
NAME:    "Saw Lah Htoo"      SEX: M   AGE: 24         Karen farmer
FAMILY:  Married, no children
ADDRESS: K--- village, Dooplaya District              INTERVIEWED: 22/2/98

["Saw Lah Htoo" fled his village during the 1997 SLORC offensive and
now works in a shop in the Thai Karen border village of Ber Kler,
immediately opposite a major SPDC Army base.]

Q:  Do you know the news from  Kyaikdon?
A:  Yes, I know.  I hear the news because the traders come and tell me.
The Burmese are assessing the value of the land of everyone who lives in
Kyaikdon.  Some plots cost 50,000 Kyats, and some cost 30,000 Kyats.
On the expensive pieces of land, the roofs of the buildings must be zinc.
Everyone has to buy their land back from the SPDC.  For example, if they
appraise my land for 50,000 Kyats I must buy it from them for 50,000
Kyats.

Q:  How much land do you get for 50,000 Kyats?