The BurmaNet News: June 23, 1998

------------------------ BurmaNet ------------------------
 "Appropriate Information Technologies, Practical Strategies"

The BurmaNet News: June 23, 1998
Issue #1032

HEADLINES:
==========
THE NATION: SUU KYI'S BIRTHDAY CAUSES A STIR
VOA: THAN SHWE
NLOM: REPORT ON EXCLUSIVE THAN SHWE INTERVIEW
NEWS FROM THE BORDER: COST OF LIVING IN TACHILEK
BKK POST: BURMESE CALL OFF TRUCE TALKS WITH REBELS
BKK POST: BURMA SAYS "NO" TO JOINT COMMITTEE MEETING
ASIAWEEK: JAPAN ENGAGES MYANMAR

The Nation: Suu Kyi's Birthday Causes a Stir

RANGOON -- Burma's opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi celebrated her 53rd
birthday yesterday, with her opposition National League for Democracy (NLD)
party defiantly declaring it Burmese Women's Day.

Burma's military junta had said that it was strongly opposed to the
opposition's plan to mark the event as a national day for women.

About 300 guests, mostly NLD members, arrived at her lakeside house in
Rangoon early yesterday morning to wish her well.

Arriving guests were not prevented from gathering by the military junta,
but were checked by soldiers posted outside her compound before they
entered her home, witnesses said.

Earlier, the 1991 Nobel Peace Prize winner went to a pagoda for a Buddhist
religious ceremony at which she offered a meal to monks and asked them to
bless her, the witnesses said.

"We are celebrating her birthday and declaring June 19 as Burmese Women's
Day," an NLD member said as he entered Suu Kyi's residence.

State-run newspapers, which act as a mouthpiece for the ruling State Peace
and Development Council (SPDC), on Wednesday had dubbed Suu Kyi the "Veto
lady".

They said plans to mark her birthday as Women's Day were an insult to
Burmese patriots and to her late father Aung San who helped lead the
country to independence.

"It will amount to an insult to the mother and father who slapped the face
of colonialists if attempts were made to designate the birthday of the Veto
Lady as Burmese Women's Day," the papers said. Suu Kyi's NLD swept the
general election held in 1990 but the party's landslide victory was ignored
by the military, who later put her under six years of house arrest.

Since then, the military and the NLD have been at political loggerheads.
The opposition claims that the military abuses human rights and suppresses
democracy, a charge the military has denied.

Suu Kyi was freed in mid-1995 and is allowed to leave her house, but her
political activities and those of the NLD have been curbed by the junta.

Voice of America: Than Shwe
17 June, 1998 by Gary Thomas

Intro: Burma's most senior general says the ruling military government
harbors no ill will toward the United States for its efforts to isolate
Burma. His comments came in an unusual magazine interview. From VOA's
Southeast Asia bureau, correspondent Gary Thomas has details.

Text: Diplomatic analysts based in Rangoon admit they are puzzled by the
apparently conciliatory comments toward the United States, which come from
General Than Shwe, Chairman of Burma's state peace and development council.

In what the analysts call an extremely rare interview, Than Shwe told
"Leaders" magazine, an obscure quarterly publication, that his government
harbors no antagonism or hostility toward the United States, even though
the United States has imposed sanctions on Burma and pressured other
countries to follow suit.

His comments are a far cry from the usual anti-American rhetoric emanating
from Burma's leadership, through the tightly-controlled state-run media.

What analysts find even more puzzling is that the interview was reprinted
in its entirety in the state-run newspaper, "New Light of Myanmar."
[BurmaNet Editor's Note: see next article for text.]

Noting Burma's position between China and India, Than Shwe says Burma could
envision a strategic relationship with the United States, similar to the
ties between Washington and Thailand.

// opt // The general says international assistance will help the process
of democratization in Burma, while what he calls "hostile attitudes" by
other countries could delay any political liberalization. // end opt //

Some Rangoon analysts -- all of whom asked to remain anonymous -- speculate
the interview is a public-relations attempt to brush up Burma's image and
show its rulers to be reasonable men.

The analysts point out the interview was not with a major media outlet, but
with a little-known magazine. They add that the general was not asked any
difficult questions, with his interviewers avoiding topics such as human
rights and Burma's pro-democracy movement.

Than Shwe does not give interviews. On those occasions where he appears
publicly, he ignores reporters' questions, if any happen to be close by. He
told "Leaders" magazine he has been misinterpreted by the media and
therefore keeps a low profile.

New Light of Myanmar: Report on Exclusive Than Shwe Interview

[In his first interview with the press since assuming military leadership
of the government of Myanmar, His Excellency Senior General Than Shwe,
chairman of the State Peace and Development Council, discusses several
troubling and often misunderstood issues facing his country and its people.
 In this exclusive interview, which opens our special report on the Union
of Myanmar starting on page 62, Shwe discusses the circumstances that
necessitated the military's assumption of government leadership and the
steps the military government is taking to assist in the country's reform
to a democratic system of government.

[The difficulties involved in the political and social amelioration of the
Union of Myanmar are further exacerbated by the imposition of Western
sanctions, primarily by the United States.  Removing those sanctions, Shwe
contends, would hasten the country's economic development and ease the
democratic transition. "My genuine desire," he states in his interview, "is
to see our country develop and prosper, and to see the emergence of a
democratic system."

[LEADERS Magazine is published quarterly and circulated to distinguished
leaders of the world.  Circulation is strictly limited.  To receive LEADERS
Magazine one must be the leader of a nation, an international company, a
world religion, an international institute of learning or an international
labour organization, or a chief financial officer, a major investor on
behalf of labour or corporate pension funds, a chief information officer, a
Nobel Laureate, or a leader in science or the arts. --New Light of Myanmar
Editors' Note.]

In his first conversation with the press after assuming military leadership
of the government of Myanmar, chairman of the State Peace and Development
Council, Senior General Than Shwe, is eager to explain exactly what is
taking place in his country and to set the record straight on his attitude
toward the West.  "In spite of any sanctions the United States has against
us," he says, "we bear no hostility and no antagonism toward the United
States."

Although Myanmar is using its wealth of natural resources to develop its
economy and has good trade relations with its neighbours in the East, Shwe
feels that lifting the sanctions imposed by the West because of the
opposition to military rule would, in fact, help build the economy further
and lead to the establishment of a democracy.  Most important, Shwe
stresses that by removing sanctions and offering assistance, the West would
facilitate the "handing over of state power back to the people more
quickly".  "My genuine desire," he says, "is to see our country develop and
prosper, and to see the emergence of a democratic system".

[Leaders Magazine] Is this the first conversation you have had with any
member of the press?

[Than Shwe] Yes.

[Leaders Magazine] Why have you decided to speak now?

[Than Shwe] In our previous experiences with people from the media,
whatever we said was usually misinterpreted, and sometimes
misinterpretation, can give rise to misunderstandings.  I wanted to clarify
these misunderstandings.  But I personally live a very quiet life, so I
don't push myself to task to the press.

[Leaders Magazine]  This is a good opportunity to show the world that you
are a statesman who is concerned for your nation and its future.  As such,
one of the things you are focusing on now is rebuilding the country; for
you, politics comes later.  But as you know, countries in the West are
under the impression that you think it's necessary to have the security of
a nation before you have democracy--that you can't have people voting if
the votes are not honestly counted.  Can you explain this to those in the
West who seem to be anti-Myanmar?

[Than Shwe]  As you are aware, we are vigorously engaged in the national
reconstruction of the country.  We are working for the development and
peace of our nation.  At the same time, we are trying to place our country
on the path of democracy, and to build a democratic system.  So, first we
have to establish conditions of peace and tranquility, and law and order.
At the same time as we are trying to establish political stability,
however, we must also build up the economic foundation of our nation.  So
we're definitely trying to do both.

Of course we believe it's not natural for the armed forces to assume
responsibility for the state for a very long time, but you must realize
that because of the particular circumstances and conditions in our country,
the armed forces have to assume responsibility for a certain period of time.

[Leaders Magazine]  US sanctions have hurt business investment in Myanmar.
Here you are, on the border of India and also of China, a country the
United States has had an up-and-down relationship with; sometimes it's good
for trade, sometimes it's bad for human rights.  Aren't the sanctions the
United States has imposed on Myanmar, and the influence it's using on
European nations, driving you more toward China?

[Than Shwe]  It's true, the United States has instituted sanctions against
our nation.  But because we have developed a vibrant border trade with our
neighbouring countries of India, China, and Thailand, and because of the
assistance and support from other countries in the region, the impact of
the sanctions is not so great.

Whether the result of these sanctions has an effect on our relationship
with other countries, I want to say that Myanmar has always tried to
maintain friendly ties with all countries in the world.  We have been
consistent in this policy throughout our history.  So, in spite of any
sanctions the United States has against us, we bear no hostility and no
antagonism toward the United States.

[Leaders Magazine]  But isn't that driving Myanmar closer to China?

[Than Shwe]  No, I wouldn't say that US sanctions are pushing us toward
China.  We want to continue to maintain good, cordial relations with all
countries.

Our country has a lot of natural resources, and we are able to utilize them
very well to develop our nation's economy.  In addition, the countries in
our region cooperate well with us, which also helps in our economic
development.  Of course, if we get assistance from countries abroad, it
will help us develop our nation even more. Having international assistance
and support will greatly facilitate our economic and political endeavours
and will also help us build a democratic system more quickly by
facilitating the handing of state power back to the people. My genuine
desire is to see our country develop and prosper, and to see the emergence
of a democratic system.  It is toward this end that we are putting our best
efforts.  I believe that if instead of imposing economic sanctions on our
country, the world community would help us, we could reach this goal within
three years.

[Leaders Magazine]  Everyone in the diplomatic community is asking when
will your constitution be finished, and when will there be free elections?
I know you're still working on the constitution, but the West wants to know
when it will be complete.

[Than Shwe]  Let me say that we have no intention of prolonging the process
unnecessarily.  If we receive international assistance and support, the
process of establishing a democratic system in our country will be sped up.
 But if there is a hostile attitude from other countries, the process of
democratization could be prolonged.  However, we, on our part, have no
intention whatsoever to unnecessarily prolong this process.

[Leaders Magazine]  The American government has said off the record that
they think the constitution will be written and that elections will be
held, but not until a time when the military can win the elections.

[Than Shwe]  Well, you know, the people will elect whom they like.

[Leaders Magazine]  Would you consider a high-level visit to the United
States and Europe to discuss the World Bank, the sanctions, and the pride
of the nation of Myanmar?  Also to urge the necessity for all those
involved to understand that the sanctions are hurting the people of
Myanmar, not the government, which will pursue its course and hold
constitutional elections when the time is right?

[Than Shwe]  The problem is that we are having difficulty getting a visa.

[Leaders Magazine]  But you should be able to get a visa to come to address
the United Nations as a head of government?

[Than Shwe]  If there is such an opportunity, of course.

[Leaders Magazine]  Since the United States has friendly relations with
Thailand and has military bases there, Myanmar could offer the United
States a strategic position between India and China.  Wouldn't be in both
your interests if you could have discussions with the United States along
these lines?

[Than Shwe]  It is something to think about.  Because of the geographical
and geopolitical fate of being located between India and China, two very
big neighbours, we try to maintain good relations with both those
countries. It would not help us if either China or India had unfavourable
views toward us.  We believe that if there were a change of mind in the
United States, we could develop cordial relations there, too.

[Leaders Magazine]  One of the most popular ways a big multinational
company can invest in developing nations is by arranging to come into a
country and build a power plant.  The company would have a contract to run
the power plant for a certain number of years until it could make back a
mutually agreed upon profit, and then it would turn over the entire plant
to the developing country for free for future use.  Are any of these kinds
of projects under consideration in Myanmar?  Would you welcome them?

[Than Shwe]  One thing we chose to do after assuming the responsibility of
running the government was to introduce an economic policy, and we invited
foreign investment from abroad. Toward this end, we have set up necessary
rules and procedures. We have our own regulations and laws for the kinds of
investments you describe.

[Leaders Magazine]  And in which areas would you be interested in having
this type of investment--power plants, roads?

[Than Shwe]  One sector that comes to mind is hydroelectricity, because, as
you know, we have resources for 3,000, 5,000, or even 10,000 megawatts.
Another potential area is offshore drilling, because we have a lot of
natural gas resources.  There are already companies interested in this area.

[Leaders Magazine]  You already have Texaco, ARCO, and Unocal. Is there
still room for more competition?

[Than Shwe]  Yes.  These companies are working with us on a joint venture,
but we believe there is much more potential to be tapped in downstream
industries, such as gas, fertilizers, and methanol.

[Leaders Magazine]  What is your vision for Myanmar in the next century?
What are your present priorities and what are your priorities for building
this nation in the future?

[Than Shwe]  Our vision is to establish a peaceful, prosperous, modern,
democratic, and developed state, utilizing the natural resources available
in our country.  We are also a member of the Association of Southeast Asian
Nations (ASEAN) and are trying to fulfill the vision set out for all ASEAN
countries in what is called a "Vision 2020" statement.

[Leaders Magazine]  Which ASEAN country do you think best understands Myanmar?

[Than Shwe]  Since we have been able to develop very close contacts with
the leaders of all the ASEAN countries, I would say all of them have a good
understanding of and very good relations with our country.

[Leaders Magazine]  And what are your feelings toward the United States?

[Than Shwe]  Let me again reiterate that we have no ill feelings whatsoever
toward the United States.  As you know, I am a soldier, but at the same
time, I am also a Buddhist.  I faithfully try to follow the Buddhist
teaching, which says one should not entertain antagonistic or hostile
feelings toward other human beings.  So, even though I am a soldier, and
even though I have to do certain things for the maintenance of peace and
stability and for the welfare and security of the country, I don't have
hostile or antagonistic feelings toward others.  Although the United States
may have some ill feelings toward us, we have no ill feelings toward the
United States.

[Leaders Magazine]  World leaders are human, too.  You have seven children,
and you are a grandfather.  You don't smoke, you don't drink, you are very
quiet, and you probably have never shouted in your life.  How can you be so
calm?

[Than Shwe]  Actually, you know, I try to be calm and serene. Even now I am
thinking that when I retire, I will devote myself to religion.  I don't
have any worldly desires; I just want to live a quiet and peaceful life.
What I am doing now is because I love my country.

News From the Border: Cost of Living in Tachilek, Shan State, Burma
Mid-June, 1998

Cost of Living

The following prices were gathered from the morning market in Tachilek.
Most of them were displayed and only Thai baht was generally accepted. It
was very difficult to buy items in Burmese kyat, and many traders didn't
know the exchange rate, which at the time was 12 baht to 100 kyat.

[Table consists of the following categories in the following order: item,
cost (Thai baht) per kilo, cost (Burmese kyat) per kilo, length of time for
a family of 6 to consume]

Rice - broken: 9 baht, 75 kyat, 1 meal
Rice - standard: 14 baht, 120 kyat, 1 meal
Rice - high quality: 24 baht, 200 kyat, 1 meal
Salt, 6 baht, 50 kyat, 2-3 weeks
Fish paste: 22 baht, 180 kyat, 1-2 weeks
Onions: 24 baht, 200 kyat, 1 week
Chillies - fresh: 50 baht, 420 kyat, 2-3 weeks
Cooking oil: 42 baht, 350 kyat, 3-4 days
Yellow beans: 25 baht, 210 kyat, 3-4 days
Potatoes: 15 baht, 125 kyat, 2-3 days
Charcoal: 15 baht, 125 kyat, 2-3 days
Eggs - chicken (x 6): 20 baht, 170 kyat, 1 meal
Eggs - duck (x 6): 24 baht, 200 kyat, 1 meal

The lengths of time quoted above are approximate, and when compared to the
following salaries paid in Tachilek, they indicate the difficulties
families are having in making ends meet.

Primary school teacher -- 950 kyat / month
Middle school teacher -- 1,200 kyat / month
High school teacher -- 1,400 kyat / month
Doctor (unspecified level) -- 3,000 kyat / month
Government worker -- 1,500 kyat / month
Soldier (private) -- 700 kyat / month
Construction worker -- 80 - 100 kyat / day

People were buying rice by the kilo rather than the 'bone' (the standard 16
kilo measure for retail rice purchases). This was typical, as all rice
prices were displayed per kilo. It again indicates that families are living
day-to-day rather than being able to afford a stock of rice at home.

All commercially grown food for sale had been imported from Thailand. There
was no Burmese rice for sale in Tachilek - the only local produce being
small quantities of wild vegetables and fruits, or those grown on
small-scale farms, brought in by local Shan and Hmong villagers. The reason
seems to be that there is not a good supply of Burmese produce this year
(especially of rice), and the cost of transporting goods from Taunggyi and
Mandalay is more expensive than the equivalent Thai produce in Mae Sai on
the Thai side of the border.  The lack of supply of Burmese goods and
increasing transportation costs has had a bad effect on the common people
of Tachilek, and it can only be surmised that similar conditions exist in
other outlying areas of Burma.

The Bangkok Post: Burmese Call Off Truce Talks With Rebels

Mae Hong Son

Anti-Rangoon Karenni National Progressive Party soldiers have continued to
harass Burmese government troops in Shan and Kayah states, prompting the
Burmese junta to call off truce talks, a border source said.

The latest engagement took place on June 12 when the Karenni rebels
attacked government soldiers near the Thai border opposite Ban Nam Phiang
Din of Muang district. One Rangoon soldier was killed and many wounded in
the exchange of fire.

The Burmese government had earlier called on the Karenni group to hold
ceasefire talks, but some rebel leaders rejected it and harassed government
forces in the two states in order to disrupt the talks.

The Bangkok Post: Burma Says "No" to Joint Committee Meeting
21 June, 1998 by Supamart Kasem in Tak

"Postponement leaves problems unresolved"

Burma has postponed indefinitely the 16th Regional Thai-Burmese Border
Committee meeting, leaving many problems between the two countries
unsolved, a source said.

The meeting was to be held on June 22-26 in Kawthaung, southern Burma.
Third Army commander Lt-Gen Sommai Wachiraporn was to lead the Thai
delegation while Southeastern Force commander Brig Gen Myint Aung was to
head the Burmese side.

Burma gave no specific reason for the postponement, saying only that it was
not yet ready.

Not even a local-level meeting has been held since last August, leaving
many outstanding problems between Thailand and Burma unsolved.

Water currents have cut a 150-rai piece of land on the Burmese side of the
Moei River to join the Thai side at Wat Phra That Khok Chang Phuek. At
another location, a 340-rai piece of land on the Thai side was cut by the
currents to join the Burmese side opposite Ban Mae Konken. This led to a
local-level armed confrontation. The problem has not been solved despite
several rounds of talks at local and governmental level.

Burma has built a 500-metre concrete embankment on the Myawaddy side to
encroach on the Moei River from the Thai-Burmese Friendship Bridge to the
North to annex a 50-rai island in the middle of the river. Despite being
asked by the Thai side to stop construction, Burma has never responded.

In November last year, Burma suspended cross-border trade between Mae Sot
and Myawaddy. Later on April 14, Rangoon ordered the closure of a border
checkpoint and the friendship bridge.

The two countries are required to hold talks over border points in dispute
at Doi Lang in Chiang Mai's Mae Ai district, Hill 491 in Chumphon's Tha Sae
district and Nok, Lam and Khan islands in the Andaman Sea.

Thailand wants to discuss with Burma the issue of some 100,000 Karen
refugees in Mae Hong Son and Tak, especially on the greater role of the
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees to supervise refugee camps.

The two countries recently agreed in principle to hold talks over
demarcation of permanent border posts. The talks have not yet begun.

Huekharn Tomornsak, the Tak governor, said the RBC meeting, if held, could
lead to solutions to some of these problems. He hoped Burma would soon be
ready for the meeting.

Asiaweek: Japan Engages Myanmar

On May 26 and 27, Japan's deputy foreign minister Haraguchi Koichi met in
quick succession with Myanmar's Gen David Abel and the de facto top man in
the junta, Lt.-Gen. Khin Nyunt. Haraguchi delivered a letter from PM
Hashimoto Ryutaro stating that Japan was pleased to resume aid to Myanmar,
but added that it hoped the government would continue to pursue political
reform. It said that a more flexible attitude in allowing the National
League for Democracy to hold its anniversary celebration would be admirable.

The generals are nothing if not realists -- realists short of money. On the
evening of May 26 -- and without reference to a prior warning not to hold
the meeting -- a curt new message was sent out giving the NLD approval to
hold a ceremony marking the eighth anniversary of "their election."

The NLD did, and a week later its leader, Aung San Sun Kyi, was allowed to
host a reception at her residence for the visiting leaders of several ASEAN
women's groups. A Yangon Spring? Don't bet on it. Even after the junta's
change of heart, plans for the emigration to Australia of the Thai-based
leaders of the so-called Burmese government-in-exile went ahead at a June
12 meeting in Bangkok between Thai and Australian officials.

As for Japan, it agreed to give Myanmar 2 billion yen in debt relief and
has further plans for a 600 million yen grant for farm machinery.