The BurmaNet News: June 22, 1998 (r)

Re:Ne Win gravely ill
=====================

If I remember correctly, Ne win was born as Shu Maung on 24 May 1911.
So,he has just turned "87" last month and I doubt he would live beyond
his "88th" birthday.

As NLD had very recenlty pledged not to pursue any form of revenge
towards the military regime, I hope he had made all the necessary
arrangements to let Burma returns to a democratic rule. At last, the
time has come for him to act now if he cares to leave a good memory of
himself as  one of the "30 comrades" of 1940.

Will he trust the NLD or will he ever come out of his own cocoon ? Which
way will he go ? That's the least I could say.

Minn Kyaw Minn
==============

>From notes@xxxxxxx Mon Jun 22 05:58:50 1998
>Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 05:04:36 -0700 (PDT)
>From: strider@xxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: The BurmaNet News: June 22, 1998
>To: Recipients of burmanet-l <burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>------------------------ BurmaNet ------------------------
> "Appropriate Information Technologies, Practical Strategies"
>
>The BurmaNet News: June 22, 1998
>Issue #1031
>
>HEADLINES:
>==========
>FEER: NE WIN GRAVELY ILL
>THE NATION: UNSUNG HEROES
>BKK POST: THE LADY OF BURMA
>THE NATION: CAR SMUGGLERS' ROUTE
>ANNOUNCEMENT: MUN AWNG ALBUM RELEASE
>
>Far Eastern Economic Review: Ne Win Gravely Ill
>
>Burma's aging strongman, Ne Win, is ill and his family is preparing for
his
>death, diplomatic sources say. After the death of one of Ne Win's
friend,
>former Thai Prime Minister Chatichai Choonhavan on May 6, Ne Win sent
>messages to the Thai authorities expressing an interest in attending
the
>funeral.
>
>But he didn't show up  -- the sources say he was physically unable to
>travel. Ne Win is 87 years old, and ruled Burma with an iron fist from
1962
>to 1988.
>
>He has continued to play an important behind-the-scenes role even after
his
>official resignation 10 years ago, mainly acting through the country's
>powerful intelligence chief, Lt-Gen Khin Nyunt. His last public
appearance
>was in September, when he visited his old friend Suharto in Jakarta.

>The Nation: Unsung Heroes In an Unfinished Struggle
>19 June, 1998 by May Pyone Aung
>
>The generals know best for Burma -- guided democracy, guided market and
>guided feminism. But women think otherwise, writes May Pyone Aung in
>commemoration of the Burmese Women's Day which is celebrated today.
>
>"More than 100 women come to the office of the Rangoon City Corporation
and
>we marched with banners and placards. A large crowd of spectators
followed
>our procession. When we reached the Secretariat building, we saw that
the
>gates were closed and heavily guarded by mounted police."
>
>This is from an inspiring memoir on female activism in Burma. A
description
>of the 1988 popular uprising?
>
>Or the 1974 student uprising following the death of UN
secretary-general U
>Thant? Wrong. It is an account of the demonstrations against British
rule
>in 1927, lead by Mya Sein, former president of the National Council of
Women.

>Mya Sein and her group of female activists were protesting against the
>British ruling that barred women from standing for election to the
>Legislative Council, a local administrative body with limited authority
>under British colonial rule. These brave women prevailed upon British
>colonial administrators to remove the sex-disqualification clause.
Their
>activism won the day not by pleading, but by hard organisational work
built
>around the Burmese Women's Association that had emerged in 1920.
>
>The early status of women suffrage in Burma is comparable to other
>democratic countries, for example, the United States where women won
the
>right to vote in 1920, United Kingdom in 1918, and France and Italy in
1944
>and 1945. And as the tempo of the Burmese nationalist movement
heightened
>in late 1930s, women fought hand in hand with the men.
>
>During the famous 1936 University strike, 36 young women from Rangoon
>University linked arms with their male activists. Again when oil
workers
>started national strikes in 1938, hundreds of women and Thakin Ma
>(patriotic women) were among the leading strikers.
>
>After independence, the role of women in national politics looked
>promising. One woman, Ba Maung Chein, was elected to the
post-independence
>cabinet while not fewer than 15 women deputies sat in parliament. The
>socio-economic status of women was greatly improved and a lively
democracy,
>in which more than 60 per cent of the electorate turned out to vote in
>national elections, ensured the political representation of diverse
>interests, including women's.
>
>NO PUSHOVER
>
>The issue of women leadership in Burma is not a novelty. Many observers
>regarded Aung San Suu Kyi, leader of the democratic opposition National
>League for Democracy, as a mythical figure under the shadow of her late
>father and national hero, Gen Aung San. To a large extent, her charisma
>owes to her father's image, but her leadership would not be accepted by
>majority of the people had there been no tradition of women's political
>activity in our society. This is the reason that the generals never
treat
>her lightly nor ignore the sentiment of women constituents. The
generals
>are well aware of her powers and in fact, they did establish women
>organisations just to counter her leadership.
>
>The generals' vehicle for women's acquiescence is Myanmar Maternal and
>Child Welfare Association (MMCWA) under the guidance of the powerful
Gen
>Khin Nyunt. In fact, MMCWA is just a first-wives' club. Dr Khin Win
Shwe,
>wife of Gen Khin Nyunt, took a vice-chair while the wives of other
generals
>filled up the remaining executive seats in the national steering body.
>
>In the generals' world, they know what is best for Burma. That includes
the
>women's needs and aspirations. Guided democracy, a guided market, and
now,
>guided feminism. If guided feminism means a gradual improvement of
women's
>status, such an objective might be regarded as better than nothing even
>though such retrogression is hard to accept for most Burmese women who
have
>already enjoyed equal roles under parliamentary democracy.
>
>But in reality, this is not the case. In fact, these women's
organisations
>are preoccupied with beauty contests, flower shows, and fashion galas.
On
>the external front, MMCWA and other women's organisations are often
>presented as NGOs to help channel foreign aid. Thus, the women
>organisations become the perfect front organisations to funnel United
>Nations development aid and other humanitarian assistance to where the
>generals want. Having built upon a top-down model, these women's
>effectiveness in community-building activities is minimal and the
element
>of empowerment is clearly missing.
>
>Sadly enough, these women are used to covering up the sins committed by
>their husbands. For instance, the MMCWA held a national conference to
tone
>down the worsening situation of violence against women. The trend
raises to
>alarming proportions in the frontlines where the army went to suppress
>various ethnic resistance groups in these areas.
>
>SILENT EMERGENCY
>
>During the Slorc's 10-year reign, thanks to their take-no-prisoners
>attitude, the crime rate has fallen in all categories except rape. The
>incidence of rape remains unchanged while other crimes have
dramatically
>reduced. Take a look at the crime statistics between 1988 and 1996 --
the
>incidences of major violent crimes such as murder and robbery dropped
an
>average annual rate of 7 per cent and 21 per cent respectively. What
about
>rape? It remained at the same level as before.
>
>At another front, the silent emergency of the trafficking of women was
>labeled as a fabrication made by the 'destructionists'. Today, in
Thailand
>alone, there are at least 50,000 Burmese women working in the thriving
sex
>industry. Yet, the majority is very vulnerable to mistreatment and
>exploitation under slave-like conditions. The conditions for migrant
female
>workers employed in other categories such as domestic servants and
>sweatshops are equally bad.
>
>Of course, the conditions in Burma are equally bad. Prostitution is the
>only profitable spillover from the Visit Myanmar Year. The inflow of
>foreign companies did not generate good jobs for our sisters. Instead,
they
>are forced to work as secretaries or office-maids, facing sexual
>discrimination and sexual harassment in the absence of any legal
recourse
>for these abuses.
>
>Worse still, violence against women is not just an occurrence in remote
>Burma but it also effects our women activists who openly protest the
>military regime. Many of our sisters have sacrificed their lives in
popular
>uprisings. In fact, it was the story of the rape of female activists in
the
>prisons after they were arrested during the smaller demonstrations in
early
>1988 that spark wider protests in the famous 8-8-88 uprisings.
>
>Indeed, the women's movement was revived in 1988. Those who witnessed
the
>1988 uprisings vividly remember the scene of women carrying pots and
pans
>along with placards to join a large group of housewives who went into
the
>streets to demonstrate against the government's assertion that they had
the
>support of the "silent majority", a lowly designation for women who
make up
>half of the population. One result of the resurgent activism of women
in
>politics is the filing of at least one woman candidate in every
>constituency in the last general election and the victory of at least
15
>candidates.
>
>Given the potential danger of activism by one-half of the population,
the
>generals took a very strong stand against the women who were involved
in
>the opposition movement. Many women were arrested and imprisoned under
>martial law. There is an estimated 100 women political prisoners in
Burma.
>Burma is likely to top the world with highest number of women prisoners
of
>conscience.
>
>Dr Thida, a physician, was given a 15 year sentence for her writing
because
>her words were powerful enough to sway the general's soldiers. Sann
Sann, a
>labour leader and an NLD MP in her late 60s, was recently given a
25-year
>sentence for exercising her freedom of expression during an interview
with
>the British Broadcasting Corporation. She had already served an earlier
>prison term a few years ago for her role in forming a parallel
government.

>A few months ago, a woman MP from the NLD, Nan Khin Htwe Myint, a
popular
>grassroots leader from Karen State, was arrested and given two jail
>sentences by a mock jury. There are countless female activists who have
>done brave and unthinkable work, risking their lives in the process.
Many
>were arrested and some are believed to be languishing in detention
centres
>without any information from the outside world.
>
>Seventy years have passed since Mya Sein let the world know about the
>tradition of hard work and independence of women in Burma. Since then,
the
>present status of the women of Burma has deteriorated. There is an
urgent
>need to shed light on the darkest corners of Burma and the unknown
>struggles of countless women in the democratic movement.
>
>Here, the words of Aung San Suu Kyi give strong guidance for the tasks
>ahead. "It is only by creating conditions under which women are given
an
>equal opportunity with men to develop their talents that our world will
be
>able to reap the full benefits of a healthy community."
>MAY PYONE AUNG is member of Burmese Women Union based on the Thai-Burma
>border..

>The Bangkok Post: The Lady of Burma
>19 June, 1998 by Sanitsuda Ekachai
>
>Her homeland is still as fiery as when she returned to B10 years ago.
In
>her honour, pro-democracy groups have chosen her birthday, June 19, to
be
>Women of Burma Day.
>
>In 1988, the daughter of Burma's independence hero General Aung San
>returned to Burma to care for her dying mother. Since then, Aung San
Suu
> [...]
me to
>receive guests in my own home, I would have the tea party out in the
street.

><How free are you?>
>
>Well, if I wanted to go out of Rangoon, they would probably fell a tree
>across the road or something. I can go around but there are always two
cars
>following me.
>
><Why there are so many restrictions?>
>
>That's exactly what I want to know. Those men in my garden always say
it's
>an order from the top to stop any visitors from coming in.
>
><How's your life now?>
>
>Busy!
>
><What are NLD plans now?>
>
>We want to implement the resolutions of the party congress. We should
be
>able to go through the agenda in a month. It's going to be quite a big
job
>as we have to do it in quite a short time.
>
><What if the military does not follow the target date you set?>
>
>We have plans. But I can't tell you.
>
><What's the situation of female political prisoners?>
>
>On the whole, there's no problem of sexual harassment. But they are
>detained with criminals and prostitutes. Sometimes they were even put
in
>the same cell as male prisoners who actually protested against it.
>
>Male and female political prisoners face the same persecution. But
women
>tend to be treated a little bit better.
>
><Can you go see them?>
>
>No, only their family members can visit them once every fortnight. But
this
>visiting right is often cut and becomes irregular.
>
><How can women in ASEAN help?>
>
>Help is needed for women and men. Actually, female political prisoners
are
>much fewer.
>
><How to improve their situation?>
>
>Political prisoners must be treated differently and kept separately
from
>ordinary prisoners. Even during the colonial period, political
prisoners
>got lots of rights. They had access to the library, for example.
>
>Now they are treated very badly. Legal assistance is not allowed. They
>cannot meet even their own relatives until they are sentenced as
guilty.

><Why are there very few women out of about 1,500 political prisoners?>
>
>It's something I haven't worked out if it's a question of women not
doing
>enough or because women are being very careful.
>
><What are the impacts of military dictatorship on women?>
>
>Oh, that's terrible, especially for our ethnic women. You must have
heard
>of murder, rape and torture.
><Does that happen to Burmese women too?>
>
>Not so often with Burmese women. The troops are a bit more careful.
Also,
>our ethnic women are in the border areas and the troops can do what
they do
>and get away with it. Because our country has been ruined by the
military
>regime, many women fled and are forced into prostitution in Thailand
and
>they are treated like animals.
>
><What do you think of the current economic crisis in ASEAN?>
>
>The governments once believed they would go from strength to strength.
The
>economic crisis will make them realise, though, that everyone is
vulnerable.

><How does it affect democracy movements in Burma?>
>
>Before, there was a belief that a government could bring economic
>development without political change. Now I think a lot of ASEAN
countries
>are realising that this is not possible.
>
><What can the Burmese military learn from Indonesia?>
>
>The Burmese authorities must learn that they can't go against the will
of
>the people forever. That it's time to accommodate the people's will. On
the
>other hand, there is a possibility some hardliners will use it as a
reason
>to be even more tough and repressive.
>
><What do you want to see?>
>
>For us, settlement is dialogue. The military must open a dialogue with
NLD
>because we represent the will of the people. We shall stand by the
results
>of the 1990 election.
>
><Anything you want to say to the Indonesian government?>
>
>They can help encourage the Burmese government to come to a settlement
>because they have seen for themselves the problems that emerge when the
>government is not in harmony with the people. Peace will prevail in the
>region if there is peace in Burma.
>
><And to the newly-elected President of the Philippines?>
>
>The Philippines is among few democracies in the region. It'd be of
great
>help if there are more democracies in Asia, to help the cause of
democracy
>in Burma.
>
><Are there difference's of opinion within the military junta?>
>
>To a certain extent. After all, they are not robots. No two thinking
people
>think alike all the time. With the Indonesian experience, some of them
must
>start thinking.
>
><Why did the military allow you to organise a party congress?>
>
>At first they didn't. But we insisted on our legal rights. We then had
>discussions. It's a good thing to have discussions.
>
><Is it true that the constitution your father wrote also prevents those
>with foreign ties from taking national leadership?>
>
>At that time, Burma did not yet win independence. All Burmese were
British
> [...]
>get where they want to go.
>
><What kind of meditation are you practising?>
>
>I'm using vipassana, or awareness meditation. It has taught me a sense
of
>awareness. That's very important. It's what keeps you in check. It
keeps
>you from going astray. Or when you do, you don't do it again.
>
><What about loving kindness and your policy of non-violence?>
>
>For loving kindness, that comes to me from my own experiences. In our
>struggles, what else do we have? We only have people who support our
cause
>out of a sense of sympathy, a sense of solidarity. That's loving
kindness,
>feelings for others.
>
>This is what our whole movement is based on. We don't have any weapons,
no
>money, no rights. The laws in this country are used to crush us. What
can
>we rely on? How can we keep together? We keep together because we
believe
>in what we are doing.
>
>Some people get burnt out. We have to help each other keep going. And
we
>cannot do that unless we have some basis of loving kindness.
>
><How do you cope with separation from your family?>
>
>I cope, to a large extent, because my family is very good about it. If
they
>are a sort of family who keep getting at me, it would be very
difficult.
>But they are very, very supportive.
>
><How does it affect the children?>
>
>Well, they take it in their stride. For them, that's life. They are now
24
>and 20.
>
><They must be proud of you.>
>
>A lot of children think their life is quite normal. (laughs)
>
><Do you know their girlfriends?>
>
>Of course, I know about their girlfriends. (laughs.) I know who they
are
>and what they're like, at least from what I heard from them. I only get
one
>side of the picture, though. (laughs.)
>
><Is it really that easy to cope?>
>
>Don't forget that I lived alone for six years under house arrest. Put
>simply, I got used to it.
>
>There was only a girl who came to prepare my food. The only visitors
were
>my family when they were allowed to come see me. And there was a doctor
who
>came to check me from time to time.
>
><How often do you get in touch?>
>
>I used to get phone calls from them regularly once a week. But for
about
>six-seven-eight months, my phone has been cut off so often that phone
calls
>from my family are very irregular.
>
><How often do they come to visit?>
>
>After they arrested me (in September 1988) my family was still here.
But
>they left in December. After that none were allowed to come for more
than
>two years, until April 1992. After that, they were allowed to come
>sometimes once or twice a year. There were even times when it became
three
>times. My husband and eldest son have not been here since January 1996.
>They have not been given visas. That's two years now. My youngest son
came
>last September but they wouldn't give him a visa for Christmas.
>
><One of the ASEAN leaders once commented that you are comfortable in
your
>home, that you don't look strung-up or anything.>
>
>I don't think you wait until people are strung up to help them.
>
>Compared to a lot of Burmese, I'm very comfortable. But then again, I'm
>lot less free.
>
>If they brought up some sod of law to detain me, that will be legal,
though
>unjust. But what they're doing right now is illegal. They have no right
>stop me from going anywhere I want to go or stop people from seeing me.
>
><When in power, what will NLD do?>
>
>One of the first things is to do something about our education system.
The
>universities have been closed for about two years now. You cannot go on
>like that.
>
>The government must also do something with the economy. We should be
>practical. We should not go for big, ambitious projects. What we need
to do
>is meet basic requirement of our people. And security.
>
>Our health system is in ruins. We have to do something about that too.
>
>About 80 percent of our people are in rural areas. We'll do what we can
for
>this 80 per cent. It will be irresponsible to do things only for the 20
>percent in the city. Also, in the long run, it will create a lot of
>discontent which leads to social upheavals, even revolutionary
situations.

><What [are] your thoughts on education?>
>
>Students now have to pay for computers. The joke is that they must keep
>computers like a shrine. Nobody can touch it. That's very silly when a
lot
>of children don't even have books.
>
>What I'd rather do is concentrate on children having adequate books
before
>I look at computers. It just doesn't make sense.
>
>There are schools without enough teachers. Many even without desks.
This
> [...]
chair.

><What about your foreign aid policy?>
>
>We're confident that we'll get all the aid we need. But we're not going
>be greedy. We'll only receive what we can cope with.
>
><What about getting some development aid now?>
>
>We don't encourage any kind of aid now, either from NGOs or UN
agencies.
>Because the military can influence how the aid money is spent in a way
>help sustain their power.
>
><Won't development aid help strengthen the grassroots movements?>
>
>No, I don't think so, Because the aid is not given to every one equally
at
>the grassroots. The NGOs cannot work freely either.
>
><Not even programmes to help improve women's reproductive health? It
>doesn't have to go through the military.>
>
>Who says so? If the programmes concern women, they will have to go
through
>SLORC wives group.
>
>I also need to ask who runs the programme, who chooses them, how they
are
>chosen.
>
>We must separate short-term and long-term results. The NGOs projects
are a
>mere drop in the ocean, if its long-term result is to strengthen the
>stranglehold of the authorities. It's not worth it.
>
>The NGOs and UN agencies won't be able to bring sustainable development
>Burma. We've got to do it ourselves. We don't want NGOs to help our
people.
>What we want is our people to be able to help themselves. We want to be
in
>the situation that we can help ourselves.
>
><Are you against all kinds of foreign aid now?>
>
>We reject direct financial aid to the authorities. The aid from NGOs
and UN
>agencies has to be scrutinised very carefully.
>
>Even in family planning, you will never know if they will use money to
buy
>a few tanks. The system is so opaque that you won't know what happens
>the money.
>
>We've come across projects in which the activities were assisting the
>authorities' influence.
>
>For example, digging wells. The authorities is in the position to
decide
>who gets the contract to dig the well and where. All these details are
>overlooked.
>
><Do you think parliamentary politics is a panacea for Burma?>
>
>Whether it is presidential or parliamentary system, there'll still be
>problems. What you need is responsible politicians. A lot depends on
>parties and leadership of parties concerned.
>
>It also depends very much on public awareness. Political education of
the
>people is very important.
>
><Burma seems to slip from world attention. What makes you carry on?>
>
>There is still a tremendous awareness of Burma all over the world.
There
>are always articles about Burma in major newspapers. Burma may not be
at
>the top of CNN news all the time. But then you cannot expect it. In
fact,
>if you are in the top news of CNN, it means you are in serious trouble.
>
>When we first started this movement to bring democracy to Burma, we
were
>not thinking of support of the world. Although we welcome the support,
we
>thought of what primarily needs to be done in Burma.
>
>If we have the support of the international community, it's a great
help.
>But we don't depend on it. We keep on going with a belief that we can
>create change in this country.
>
><The Burmese people are practically paralysed by fear of the military.
How
>to fight that?>
>
>It's not an easy, quick process. People have lived for a long time
under
>the military regime. They have become fearful by nature. They think
that
>it's a natural state of affairs, to be frightened.
>
>It's an educational process, not something to be achieved overnight.
>
><Do you think Buddhism makes people resigned and passive?>
>
>There is a lot of violence in Sri Lanka. And I don't think the Sri
Lankans
>are passive.
>
>I don't think it has to do with Buddhism. Life in my country is so
easy.
>It's always easy to get enough, to live on. Even poor villagers don't
>starve to death in Burma. Sometimes I think it has something to do with
the
>weather. It's so hot you don't want to do anything. (smiles).
>
><The Thai government is launching a crackdown on illegal Burmese
workers.
>What do you think?>
>
>The crackdown is understandable because of the problems of the Thai
>economy. But we have to look at the problems of migrant workers; why
are
>they forced to flee across the border to find work or to be some kind
of
>political refugees.
>
>It's because the situation is not right in Burma. The government cannot
>manage the economy to give people enough opportunities.
>
>So if they are not happy with the problem of Burmese migrant workers,
they
>need to look at the source of the problem and try to do what they can
>help us resolve our political problems.
>
><What do you think of the roles of UNHCR for refugee camps in
Thailand?>

>The UNHCR should do more. We would like the UNHCR to take more
>responsibility for refugee camps. It will be of great help to our
refugees.
>They are in a very difficult situation, especially the children.
>
>But the stance of Thailand is not very clear on allowing in the UNHCR
>work with Burmese refugees.
>
><Why do you think women's rights always take a back seat in liberation
>movements?>
>
>It is so because in such circumstances, men have no rights, either.
Nobody
> [...]
>more difficult time?>
>
>Well ... There's something of that problem. But that's not such a major
>problem. There are some who feel that women are inferior and therefore
>there's something not quite right about giving her a superior role. But
>don't think it's such a serious problem.
>
><It's common for female politicians to face smear campaigns. What is
your
>advice?>
>
>Ignore them. Don't get entangled in it.
>
><Do you think the military treat you differently because you are a
woman?>

>I think one of the reasons they don't put me in straightaway in prison
is
>because I'm a woman.
>
><Does your mother have a big influence on you?>
>
>Of course, she brought me up. My father died when I was two. She was a
>disciplinarian.
>
><What would your mother have said if she were still alive?>
>
>Keep regular hours! Eat your meals on time!
>
><You don't have regular hours now?>
>
>I used to when I was under house arrest when everything went like
>clockwork. But now it depends on how much work I have to do. Six hours
of
>good sleep is enough for me. But the rains are so noisy. I am a light
>sleeper. It keeps me awake, especially when it comes down suddenly in
the
>middle of the night. (smiles)
><Do doctors come to see you regularly?>
>
>Yes, I have two doctor friends who come see me twice a week to give me
>regular check-up.
>
><Do you have visitors often?>
>
>I have visitors all the time. Diplomats. Visitors from abroad. But the
>authorities don't like journalists to come. It doesn't make any sense
>because I can always meet them somewhere else.
>
>But they are doing this to discourage people so that they stop coming.
>That's why they keep cutting my phone off. No journalists can get me on
the
>phone. It gets immediately cut off.
>
><Is it always tapped?>
>
>Of course. Another reason why the phone is not working for a long
period of
>time is those people just get bored. They cut it so that they can go
out to
>have lunch or whatever. No calls. No reason for them to sit there.
>
><What do you do to relax?>
>
>I exercise regularly, about 20 minutes a day, on an exercise machine my
>husband gave me. It's for my back actually. During house arrest, I sat
>sewing and reading too much and developed back injuries. Now, they no
>longer trouble me. I also meditate an hour every day.
>
><Meditation is extremely difficult.>
>
>Keep practising. It's difficult at first. I was so frustrated that I
wanted
>to cry. I didn't want to go on. But I read the advice of a meditation
>master, that meditation is what you must do whether you like it or not.
So
>I gritted my teeth and did it.
>
><It gets easier now?>
>
>It's never what you call easy. It's never like sitting there doing
nothing.
>It's never like that. Well, it's not meant to be easy.
>
><Have you ever cried?>
>
>Oh, yes. I'm not a weeper, but yes I've cried in my life.
>
><No, not during your childhood. In the past few years?>
>
>Yes, there have been occasions like that. I was wondering whether I
cried
>at my mom's funeral. Yes, but not too much.
>
><What [are] your birthday wishes?>
>
>A peaceful settlement in my country.

>The Nation: Golden Triangle Serves as Car Smugglers' Route
>
>Mae Sai -- Hundreds of cars stolen in Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore
are
>being smuggled through this Golden Triangle border area into Burma for
use
>by drug lords, army officers and others, Thai police say.
>
>The trade enables the rich and powerful living in the remote,
mountainous
>area -- one of the world's top production zones of opium and heroin --
>buy a Mercedes-Benz or comfortable four-wheel-drive vehicles relatively
>cheap. Such vehicles would be far more expensive to obtain legitimately
in
>the main legal port of entry, the Burmese capital of Rangoon, and would
>take a beating on the country's cratered roads to reach the Triangle
area
>hundreds of kilometres away.
>
>A senior Thai officer monitoring the crossing between the towns of Mae
Sai
>and Tachilek in Burma, said this week that over 800 stolen cars have
been
>registered by Burmese authorities this year.
>
>The officer, speaking on condition, of anonymity, said that most of the
>cars have been bought by high-ranking Burmese army officers, along with
>ethnic minority warlords and drug traffickers.
>
>He said the vast majority are four-wheel drive pick ups, while a
handful
>are luxury European cars. Most roads outside Tachilek itself are
extremely
>rough and virtually impassable in the rainy season.
>
>The officer said there are 20 locations in Mae Sai district where cars
can
>be surreptitiously driven across the usually shallow Sai river to
Burma,