The Women Day of Burma Function in

Joint media release of the All Burma Students Democratic Organization and
the National Union of Students (NSW, Australia) 19. 6.98

Today marks the 53rd birthday Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, the leader of the
democracy movement in Burma. More importantly, today is ?Women in Burma?
day.
Toe Toe, the President of the All Burma Students? Democratic Organization in
Australia, sent this message of support:

?On the day for Women in Burma, we send a message of hope to Daw Aung Suu
Kyi, and our wholehearted support to her in her struggle for democracy and
human rights in Burma.?

Toe Toe continued: ?It is the women of Burma who pay the most dearly price
for the political oppression, backward economy and armed conflict that has
been raging since 1948. Women in Burma are still highly illiterate, have the
lowest health standards and are socially regarded as inferior to men. They
are also victims of the recent HIV/AIDS epidemic because of an increasing
prostitution problem.

?The military dictatorship is the major source of all the social,
educational and economic suffering of the Women of Burma. Therefore we have
to intensify the fight against this brutal regime in order to free our
people including women from suppression

Van Badham, president of NUS said:
?  Criticize the  Australian policy have no action such as Economic
sanctions against Burma" ( both Coalition and Labor does not support
economic sanctions against Burma) . NUS and ABSDO will launch free Burma
speaking tour in major campuses in NSW , ACT and Victoria in August 1988
commemorating the tenth Anniversary of 8888 people's uprising for democracy
and human rights and to promote the political  awareness. Join the Free
Burma Student Network set up by NUS and ABSDO to get active in the
grassroots Economic Sanctions Against Burma campaign in Australia

Contact ABSDO

 Ph 0416332499       Fx 02 97378637      Email:  maungt@xxxxxxxxxx