Celebrating all women not just one (r)

Moving from democracy movement to gender equality issue?
As far as I understand the recent postings on this issue, no one is
opposing the rights of women of Burma.

If you read carefully their messages, you will see the difference
between recongnizing the women's rights of Burma and idolizing a woman's
oustanding performance in politics.

Traditionally, our mothers share equal role with their husbands in
raising our families.  Our mothers are of course our cultural teachers,
teaching us how to speak our languages and interact with our society in
accordance with existing cultural norms and values.
I doubt Daw Aung San Suu Kyi accomplished this burmese mothers'
traditional duty because my friends who came accross her kids told me
none of them speak burmese well.
What has Daw Aung San Suu Kyi been doing before she came back to Burma?
It is a shame for a Burmese woman.

While admiring her courage and determination for actualizing the dreams
of the our people, I feel depressed to learn her personal failure to
accomplish teaching Burmese to her kids, which is the very soul of being
a citizen of Burma.

I ain't opposing her freedom of choice for her life-partner.  I do
respect Dr. Aris for his academic excellence.
But her failure for accomplishing this traditional teaching of language
to her offspring leads me to doubt whether she firmly holds our langauge
and culture as the prime importance of existing as a race with long
civilization.
I don't blame Dr. Aris for this failure.

Now back to gender equality. I find no male member in our society is
against the their sisters and female members' rights.
We have no dowry system as Indians do though we borrowed Buddhism from
them, which increasingly became an integral part of our way of life.  No
dowry deaths have been reported yet so far.

The "some men" are you are indicating are the men who deeply understand
this phenonmenon.  They just want to prevent the actions which promote
the "habbit of personality-cult" from getting intensified by some women
in our soceity.

We can spend our time and money wisely in promoting social awareness
about diseases, education among our sisters and mothers instead of
flattering a woman's glories and successes which are not directly
related to this biological difference. I appreciate Daw Aung San Suu
Kyi's decision to contribute a large part of her Nobel peace prize
towards  promoting the welfare of our women in crisis and backwardness.

I have a strong ambition for raising the highly competitive and
successful daughters in my family.
I am an ally to the women of Burma. So are those "some men."
Please carefully read their critical view about this issue.

Aung Soe (BKK)