Excerpt from the PRESS BRIEFING BY (r)

Dear Netters,
                         In the  following  excerpt from the Press Briefing
by U.S. National Drug Policy Director General Barry MCCAFFREY.Burma case is
discussed.

Sincerely,

Julien Moe
----------------
THE WHITE HOUSE
Office of the Press Secretary
June 8, 1998

PRESS BRIEFING BY U.S. NATIONAL DRUG POLICY DIRECTOR GENERAL BARRY MCCAFFREY,
SECRETARY OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICE DONNA SHALALA,
ATTORNEY GENERAL JANET RENO,
AND SPECIAL ENVOY TO THE AMERICAS MACK MCLARTY

GENERAL MCCAFFREY:Now, we also understand that there are problems in both
Burma, Afghanistan, and elsewhere, where the U.S. has a principal
foreign policy goal of this support for democratization and human rights and
the status of women in society in the case of the
Taliban in Afghanistan. How we will sort out those other extremely important
democratic principles is not yet clear.

But it is clear to all of us that drug production in Burma is an enormous
threat to the People's Republic of China, to Vietnam, to
Cambodia, to Thailand, to Japan, and to the United States. So we've tried to
make the case -- this is not a consumer nation
versus producer nation. This is a regional problem in which Pakistan, as an
example, has more than we think -- possibly, 3
million addicts to heroine. So it's a problem for regional community
solutions, not just funding for alternative economic
development.