3/6/98:LETTER TO PRESIDENT BILL CLI

/* Written 10 Jun 11:00am 1998 by drunoo@xxxxxxxxxxxx in igc:reg.burma */
/* ----------------" Letter to President Clinton "----------------- */

LETTER TO PRESIDENT CLINTON (3/6/98)
************************************

Dr U Ne Oo
18 Shannon Place
Adelaide SA 5000
Australia.

{\bf 3 June 1998.}

President William Clinton
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington DC 20500
United States of America.

Dear Mr President:

I call you and U.S. Congress' attention to the current political situation
in Burma. As Mr President is aware, political stalemate in Burma has
continued as the military junta refused to enter dialogue with the
opposition National League for Democracy. In spite of this difficulty,
we have been much encouraged by the  international solidarity against
Burma military junta, of which frequently been expressed by the Congress
and Government of United States. As has been pointed out in your
letter to Congress on 26 May, the only way out for military junta
from this crisis is to make political dialogue with the opposition.
In this connection, I enclosed a letter to Senior General Than Shwe, Head
of State Peace and Development Council (SPDC), for your information.

\vspace*{1em}
I am concerned about the reports by the Chinese Naval Officers being
involved in monitoring Indian coasts, using the Burmese islands
as intelligence-gathering bases. Historically, Burma had always
maintained a neutral position between its two most important neighbours
-- China and India. I believe the Burmese military junta favouring
China  will induce regional imbalance and instability in the long term.
I therefore  appeal you to look into ways in which
balance in the region can be maintained.

I also call upon the Government and Congress of United States to promote a
code of conduct for United States companies that will be operating in
Burma. The code of conduct for such companies should be formulated against
the businesses (1) use of forced labour, (2) involvements in unacceptable
environmental degradations and (3) engaging in corrupt practices. In
accordance with the United Nations General Assembly Resolution A/52/137,
the U.S. businesses may enter into contract with Burma only with the
approval of the elected parliament. These considerations would be needed
even in the case of political dialogues in Burma begin and U.S. sanctions
are formally being lifted. Because of the weakness of civil and political
institutions in Burma, such a code of conduct, I believe, will become the
help in consolidating democratic governance within Burma.

I also draw your attention to the problems of drug production and
trafficking, and also of drug money laundering in Burma. Although we
have not at present seen any sign of the Burmese military fully
cooperating with international community in the counter-narcotics
activities, preliminary measures can be made at the regional level
towards this effort. Burma's neighbouring states -- i.e. China,
Thailand and Laos -- should be encouraged to (1) pressure the rebels who
are involved in drug production and trafficking, and (2) help curb
the arms smugglings into Burma. At the same time, a serious campaign
against international drug-money laundering should be launched
especially with its focus on Burma. I believe these measures will
help towards our efforts for eliminating drug production in Burma.

The military junta is also refusing to allow the U.N. Human Rights Special
Rapporteur, Judge Rajsoomer Lallah, to visit Burma. I appeal the United
States Congress and Government to put pressure on Burmese military junta
to grant unrestricted access to various parts of Burma to
the U.N. Special Rapporteur.

\vspace*{1em}
In closing, I thank Mr President and the Congress of United States
for your continuing efforts on Burma. It is very heartening to us that
the Royal Thai Government and UNHCR have currently been arranging necessary
protection for our ethnic minority refugees. Your continuing attention to
the situation of these displaced people are greatly appreciated by
the Burmese people.

Yours respectfully and sincerely
Sd. U Ne Oo.

/* Endreport */