Protest against Brig. Gen. Abel's v

On June 4th, more than 60 pro-democracy activists, including a number of
Vietnamese showing solidarity and support for the Burmese cause, gathered at
the Okura Hotel to protest David Abel's visit to Tokyo.

Here is a statement from the Joint Action Committee, followed by the text of
Abel's speech, delivered at the International Conference on "The Future of
Asia.".

STATEMENT REGARDING A PROTEST AGAINST BURMESE MINISTER

GENERAL DAVID ABEL'S VISIT TO JAPAN

JUNE 4, 1998

We , the undersigned organizations wish to make the following statement
regarding a peaceful protest against the visit of Burmese General David
Abel, a minister of SPDC's office (The ruling Burmese military regime The
State Peace and Development Council, SPDC) calling for restoring of
democracy and human rights in Burma.

We stage a protest rally in Tokyo, on June 4, against Burmese General David
Abel's visit to Japan to attend to the ASEAN meeting on the theme of "ASIA
FUTURE".  What we want is to show solidarity with the other Asia countries
concerning the matter of Asia future.

Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, Burmese pro-democracy leader and Nobel Peace laureate
said," The case for Burma is not just for one country.  It is the case for
all those who are suffering under authoritarian regimes.  The sufferings of
our people are the sufferings of all those whose human dignity is not
protected by the law. I hope that in arguing the case for Burma, I shall be
arguing the case for all peoples in the world who are suffering from the
violation of human rights".

Today's rally is meaningful and part of the movement for democracy and human
rights in Burma .We make three demands:

(1) that ruling State Peace and Development Council (SPDC) enter into a
political dialogue with the National League for Democracy NLD, led by Daw
Aung San Suu Kyi to solve the prevailing problems in Burma.

(2) that the parliament must be convened as a first step to implement the
results of the May 1990 general elections .

(3) that all political prisoners must be released immediately and
unconditionally.

JOINT ACTION COMMITTEE

National League for Democracy (Liberated Area) Japan Branch
Tel/Fax: +81 3-5974-1981

Burmese Youth Volunteer Association (Japan)
Tel/Fax: +81 3-3916-4996

Students' Organization for Liberation of Burma (Japan)
Tel/Fax: +81 3-5396-1242

  = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

The Past, the Present and the Future

Brigadier General David O. Abel
Minister,
Office of the Chairman of the State Peace and Development Council (SPDC)
Union of Myanmar

International Conference on "The Future of Asia"
Tokyo?4th - 5th June 1998.

Statement by H. E. Brig -Gen. David O. Abel

"Ladies and Gentlemen, just take a few moments and think. We are going to be
responsible for the nest Millennium and we don't want to be bugs."

It is indeed a great honour for me to be given the opportunity to attend
this important International Conference "The Future of Asia "sponsored by
Nihon Keizai Shimbun Inc (NIKKEI). May I first of all express my sincere
thanks to the President Mr. Tsuruta and his Executive Staff and all those
involved in organizing this 4th Conference.

in 1996, when NIKKEI organized and sponsored the 2nd Conference on "The
Future of Asia "I made a presentation on behalf of the Union of Myanmar
together with other eminent persons from the Asia / Pacific Region.
Opportunities and challenges were reviewed from various stand -points. On
the whole the East Asia and South East Asian region was projected as an
engine of economic growth and stability and to even become the worlds most
powerful economic region in the next ten to fifteen years. The region
sustained substantial economic growth and stability. Today, those very
foundations are being challenged casting doubts as to the future both in the
geo-political and socio-economic context.  Hence from Myanmar's perspective
I will present this morning "The Future of Asia?Myanmar's Perspective: the
Past, the Present and the Future"

The Past.
As you all very well know all the nations of Asia were Sovereign Kingdoms
ruled by Sovereign Rulers or Sub Kingdoms ruled by Sovereign Rulers or sub
Kingdoms ruled by War lords. Geo-political and Socio-economic considerations
were confined to the region where great small or large lived in dignity as
being their own Masters and Lords. Occasionally there were intra-country
wars or incursions but being of low intensity it could be contained within
its boundaries. Likewise economic engines also were confined to boundaries.
Starting in the late 15th century the Asian Region underwent a spate of
Colonization by the West. Most of Asia was colonized by Spain, Portugal,
France, the Netherlands and England mainly due to economic considerations.
Exploitation of resources for the growing industries of the West. Later Geo-
political considerations compounded the issue which pushed the world to
engage itself in regional conflict leading to World War I and II .
Colonization brought with it political awareness and as the World
industrialized, where resources including labour was exploited. Political
Philosophies and Struggles for Independence were born. Through this process
colonized nations started political movements for their freedom and
independence. The struggle was enhanced by the 1930, industrial Recession or
the Great Depression, and after the Second World War, nations won the
freedom to change entirely the Worlds Geo-political and Socio-Economic systems.

In the study of Myanmar, during that period we may very distinctively see
--that Colonialism had exploited every possible resource which made the
masters wealthier and the vanquished poorer. National Economic Growth and
market development was completely suppressed while human resource
development including Health and Education was badly neglected. The dignity
of the Nation its people and rights was violated in a ---most inhuman
manner, firing the flame for freedom. This was the case in most of the
colonized nations and when they won their freedom they were either left
empty handed or still dependant on their colonial masters. The desire to be
truly independent and develop a sound Economy for the nation gave rise to
nationalism and a strong will to cooperate among themselves. Modern Post
Keynesian political Economy describes this situation as follows" The Era
since World War II has witnessed a world growth in output and living
standards unmatched in recorded History but also increasingly marred by
"Stagflation"), A Situation which we face today.

The Present.
The world economy is experiencing perhaps the most serious financial crisis
since the early 1970's. Its impact is much more global that what we have
witnessed in the past 20-30 years.

Focusing closely on the "ASEAN Monetary crisis" the immediately affected
nations would surely have to rethink its Economic philosophy. Since this
crisis has also had an impact in the global Economy it should also strike a
note of concern to all communities of the world.

The crisis has given ground for research in depth and many economist,
financial experts, research institutions have come up with piles of
documentation and recommendations. Of course they will be of help and help
is indeed needed! But we will have to help ourselves too! Each effected
nation with its own backdrop will have to tailor their requirements so that
as a whole the man on the street will not be effected for long periods. The
basic cause of this crisis stems from four major factors-

1.. Basic loss of market competitiveness
        2.. Weak Legal Structures for Fiscal and Monetary Administration.
        3.. Undiscipline expansion and manipulation of domestic financial
markets.
        4.. Linked contagious effects.

        In Myanmar's case study we may clearly see that crisis has had a
partial impact an its monetary system. South East Asia account for 50% of
FDI and 46% of foreign trade with Myanmar. FKI in 1996/97 Financial year
accounted for United States Dollars 1663.10 million. In the Financial year
1997/98, i.e. one year later and after the Financial crisis started, total
FDI mounted to 771.19 million united States Dollars a drop of 53.6%. Foreign
trade conducted performed according to plan. Since the major portion of FDI
in Myanmar is based on the exploitation of its natural resources it is
projected that the FKI base in Myanmar will continue as planned and also in
gaining the Export Sector and the Manufacturing sectors. In the Trading
Sector since trade is mainly In. Agriculture, Marine, Processed timber and
the export of Oil and Gas, there will be a strong tendency of growth In. all
of these sectors.

As Myanmar is about to form a capital market, the immediate absence of the
market is one of the causes which counteracted speculation. Another
established reason is that at the present moment Myanmars currency the
"Kyat" is non ? convertible. The duel rate situation gave some ground for
small local speculators but fizzled out since an established market did not
exist.

Returning to the Regional and global Situation I think that most of us would
agree that the present Financial crises In. Asia has not yet stabilized
there-by requiring very close monitoring.

a.. Since most of the countries In. Asia look upon Japan for Sympathy and
Support, and since japan feels that her Economy is also having and down
trend tendency support structures on monetary Mechanism should be formulated
by Cental Banks of the region to find an equilibrium.

a.. The decision by the people's Republic of china not to devalue its
currency (Though Tempting) strengthens

b.. The International Monetary Institutions should remodel its programmes to
be more flexible to the need of each recipient.

a.. Uncertainty as to what will further happen stems from the base as to
whether the full and complete assessment of debt has been made or will there
be some more.

b.. The flexible response of the G-7 In. relation to det management.

c.. Cooperation within the region itself to stabilize and manage the crisis
causing least effect to poor and low income groups.

d.. County-wise some safeguard measures have been initially put into motion
to safeguard the flight of Foreign Capital. In. this regard, interventions,
prohibitions should not be sustained over a long period.

As long as uncertainty lingers, it merely worsens the economic shock.
As a whole it is generally felt that with a period of two to three years the
effect could be tided over and rebound to a new Economic Era.

The Future.

As Winston Churchill said "If we open a quarrel between the past and the
present we shall find we have lost the future" This wise statement points to
us that it is the "future"that means so much to us. The future is what we
make it. The world has faced many disasters, wars, epidemics, Economic
recessions, and most of all uncertainty. The human being is created such,
that we could face almost anything and rebound to creation and success. Asia
will settle its score and return to the position to where it rightly
belongs. Where almost 2/3 of the worlds human Race lives it is of paramount
importance that peace and development prevails.

In. the sense of that rational Myanmar has integrated itself into not only
the ASEAN grouping, but also with all its neighbors near and far. We believe
that the global community well has to practice codes of principles which we
ourselves have agreed upon.

a.. The united nations charter, the numerous conventions, Agreements,
Institutional Charters etc. In. which we can find solutions to all of our
problems.

a.. To protect exploitation of the weaker by the stronger.

b.. To regulate issues that may endanger world peace and to abide by codes
and conducts decided upon.

c.. To refrain from situation on Acts that threaten the principles of
Globalization.

d.. To agree-upon and create mechanism so that such crises may not occur.

e.. And to agree to consider each and every situation according to merit of
each situation.

Myanmar aspires to the Asian vision 2020 and will endeavor to do its utmost
best In. realization of that Vision.

At the juncture of the end of the 20th Century I feel that we should take
stock of the Triumphs and challenges the global community has faced during
that Century. There has been tremendous achievement In. Technology i.e. In.
Science, Medicine, Telecommunication, space Technology etc, nave it and you
can see it. During that same period we have seen the creation and the use of
nuclear weapons, its proliferation even as this Century comes to a close. We
are witnessing a spate of incurable diseases like HIV aids; we have not
found a cure to cancer. The environment of the Global is threatened by
global warming, depletion of the Ozone layer, the Al NINO effect a weather
patterns, monetary instability. We will now have to ask our very selves.
what are we taking into the next millennium? What should we resolve right
now so that all the peoples of the world may have a better life, a secure
life, and a life something worth while to live for.

Ladies and Gentlemen, just take a few moments and think. We are going to be
responsible for the nest Millennium and we don't want to be bugs.

I would like to once again thank NIKKEI SHINBUN for sponsoring this seminar
and also all the distinguished participants present here today. A Chinese
Sage said that " if language is not used correctly, then what it said is not
meant, if what is said is not meant. Then what ought to be done remains
undone; if this remains undone, morals and art will be corrupted; if morals
and art are corrupted, justice will go astray and the people will stand
about in helpless confusion"

Thank you.

http://www2.gol.com/users/brelief/Index.htm