KHRG #98-04 Part 7/7 (Camp attacks)

                    ATTACKS ON KAREN REFUGEE CAMPS: 1998

           An Independent Report by the Karen Human Rights Group
                     May 29, 1998     /     KHRG #98-04

  *** PART 7 OF 7; SEE OTHER POSTINGS FOR OTHER PARTS OF THIS REPORT ***

                                #M9.
NAME:    "U Than Myint"    SEX: M   AGE: 47   Karen Buddhist farmer
FAMILY:  Married, 4 children aged 20-23       INTERVIEWED: 28/3/98
ADDRESS: Hlaing Bwe township; now in Section 6 of Maw Ker refugee camp

Q:  Can you tell me what happened that night?
A:  They entered, fired their guns and burned down the houses.  When
they came I didn't know it, we just heard the explosions at 1:15 a.m. on
the
23rd of March.  The shells landed nearby and we all woke up.  At first I
thought that the Thai soldiers had fired something.  I kept listening.  I
was
not running yet.  I had to find my family.

The soldiers came straight to the Monastery.  They came straight and they
shouted, "Go on, go on!" and they set fires.  Women and children were
hiding in the bunkers.  I saw the fire and the soldiers calling, "Go on, go

on, go on!"  I heard one soldier who was holding a walkie-talkie.  He said
in Karen language, "Don't fire the gun, don't fire the gun", but his
friends
fired.  One soldier was shouting in Burmese, "Nga lo ma tha!!  We are in
front of you, why are you firing the gun at us?" ['Nga lo ma tha' is
Burmese for 'Motherfucker'.]  When the soldiers went to one place, the
other soldiers shot at that place.  If it was me I would be angry against
the
Burmese soldiers [who were firing from behind].  I would have turned my
gun against them and shot at them.  I heard one soldier speaking Pwo
Karen.  I thought he must be DKBA and I dared not go out.

First they fired big weapons and then they fired small guns.  After they
were shooting for about ten minutes we couldn't see them anymore.   They
went to section seven and I didn't see which way they were going out of
the camp.  They burned down the monastery as they were on their way out.
I don't know how they burned it, you'd have to ask the monks.  They didn't
burn the community hall [a community hall for religious use, associated
with the monastery], but when they fired heavy weapons the shells hit it
and burned it.  They didn't burn all the houses, they only  burned some
houses and then the fire spread to all the houses.  I saw four of them, and

the others were over there.  I saw them when the fire started.  Some were
DKBA and some were Burmese.  The Burmese soldiers were shooting
guns and the DKBA burned the houses.  I could not stay for long, the fire
was too hot.

Q:  What language did they speak?
A:  They spoke Karen language, not Burmese.  The soldiers who spoke
Burmese stayed behind the monastery.  They were the ones who were
shelling with heavy weapons.  It was mostly Burmese soldiers shooting the
heavy weapons, two mortars and M79 [grenades].

I saw four soldiers coming this way and the others were over there; they
were not too young.  The ones who came over here were carrying guns,
and one soldier was carrying a big bag.  One soldier didn't have a gun and
the other three soldiers were holding guns; AK[47], [M]16.  They were
wearing military uniforms.  I also saw one soldier with a yellow scarf but
didn't see their hats.  Some soldiers were wearing a plain uniform and one
soldier was wearing a camouflage uniform.  The soldier who wore the
camouflage uniform said, "Don't touch me, don't touch me!"  I dared not
touch him.  He was holding a gun.  He thought that I would hit him.

They shot at my house.  They shot six times or seven times.  I saw pieces
of shells.  When they shot at my house, I looked out the top of the bunker
and I looked at them.  They looked down into the bunker before they
burned down my house, and they asked, "Are you a villager or what?"  I
said, "Yes I am a villager, we are not soldiers".  They didn't ask me my
religion, they asked me, "Where is your village?"  I said "Paw Law Lay
village, Hlaing Bwe township".  After that we ran away because we were
afraid.  Then they burned my house down.

Q:  Did they look drunk or as if they had used medicines?
A:  I don't know, I dared not look.  They would shoot me if I looked
directly at them.  I can't tell you.  When they burned the houses they were

shivering.  They were shaking, their legs were also shaking.  Maybe they
were afraid.  When they heard the bombs they sat down on the ground.
What were they afraid of?  The KNU is not in the camp!

Q:  Could you save any of your things?