Activist unjustly jailed

Mailbag

      Activist unjustly jailed

      I recently learned of the arrest and imprisonment of Thiha
      Thu in Burma. According to information provided by the
      American Physical Society, Thiha was arrested for
      participating in peaceful demonstrations, was given a
      10-year prison sentence and has been harshly treated in
      prison.

      Such arbitrary and harsh arrest, imprisonment and
      treatment of a peaceful demonstrator violates international
      standards on human rights.

      I respectfully request that you lobby for the release of Thiha
      and others who were arrested and imprisoned for
      participating in peaceful demonstrations. I would also urge
      that you petition the government of Burma to guarantee
      freedom of expression, freedom of assembly and the
      freedom to participate in peaceful political activities.

      I also request information about the charges, trial,
      sentence and current status of Thiha.

      Francesco Fabbi