bangkok post and The Nation (25/5/9 (r)

Re: New headlines
=================
>1:) Burma warning
>2:) Party told not to celebrate 1990 victory
>3:) Asean asked to push Burma on drug action
>4:) US should work with Burmese junta to eradicate drugs

This news came at a time when a senior US government official yesterday
called on the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) to urge
Burma to curb drugs production while encouraging the junta there to have
dialogue with opposition groups.

How can you stop the NLD from celebrating to mark the eight anniversary
of its landslide victory in the May 1990 general elections? It's a
pretty wrong more. A move that came out a bad advice and fear. (I don't
undersatnd why SPDC has to feel so insecured about a peaceful and
genuine celebration like this.)

After all, NLD got the mandate from the people of Burma and they don't.

They (RC/BSPP/SLORC/SPDC) are never accepted by the people and they will
never be. Nobody welcomed or asked the military to seize power in 1988.
So, they will remain illegitimate forever. We never wanted them to be
involved in the nation-rebuilding process this way. Simply speaking, you
only know how to feed on corruption and nepotism. That's just what have
been doing since 1962?

Congradulations NLD!!. Please join me to celebrate the eight anniversary
of the landslide victory of the NLD in the May 1990 election on 27 May
1998.

Freedom to the people.

Minn Kyaw Minn
==============

>From notes@xxxxxxx Sun May 24 18:57:18 1998
>Date: 24 May 1998 17:57:10
>From: mandalay@xxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: bangkok post and The Nation (25/5/98)news
>To: Recipients of burmanet-l <burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>------------------------------------
>News headlines
>1:) Burma warning
>2:) Party told not to celebrate 1990 victory
>3:) Asean asked to push Burma on drug action
>4:) US should work with Burmese junta to eradicate drugs
>-------------------------------------
>
>Burma warning
>
>Rangoon- these weeks marks the eighth anniversary of the landslide
election
>of Aung San Suu Kyi as the leader of Burma. The military junta has
warned
>there must be no celebration. An official statement says the Rangoon
regime
>has "requested" the National League for Democracy cancel its planned
>three-day ceremony. The junta has already sentenced six people to death
>recently, providing a good reason to take its requests seriously.
>------------------------------------
>
>Party told not to celebrate 1990 victory
>
>Burma's military rulers have warned the pro-democracy party of Aung San
Suu
>Kyi not to celebrate the anniversary of its landslide victory in the
1990
>general elections, Burmese government sources said yesterday.
>	In a message received in Bangkok, the sources said the government had
>learned the National League for Democracy planned a ceremony May 27-29
>mark the election victory.
>	The league captured 396 out of 485 parliamentary seats eight years
ago,
>but the shocked military power brokers reacted by arresting many of the
>victorious candidates and refusing to allow the new parliament to
convene.
>	At the time of election, Novel Peace Prizewinner Mrs. Suu Kyi was
under a
>house arrest that lasted a total of six years.
>	The sources said the league had been asked, "to refrain from creating
>conditions that will unnecessarily cause a setback in the ongoing
>nation-rebuilding process".
>	League representatives throughout the country had also reportedly been
>urged to "maintain stability and peace" by not marked the occasion.
>
>Asean asked to push Burma on drug action
>
>A senior US government official yesterday called on the Association of
>Southeast Asian nations (Asean) to urge Burma to curb drugs production
>while encouraging the junta there to have dialogue with opposition
groups.
>	US deputy assistant secretary for East Asia and the Pacific Aurelia
>Brazeal said at the US Asean dialogue of senior officials that Burma is
the
>largest single producer of opium in the world and its government has
been
>"unwilling or unable to implement effective counter-narcotics
policies".
>	"We look to Asean to assist counter-narcotics efforts of member
states,
>such as Burma who faces a particularly difficult problem in combating
drug
>production and trafficking," Brazeal said.
>	Burma was admitted into Asean last July despite strong opposition from
the
>US and European countries which criticized Rangoon's human rights
record.
>	"We remain concerned that Burma represents a potentially destabilizing
>factor for the Asean itself, including neighbouring Asean member states
in
>particular," she said.
>	Brazeal said the US believes it crucial for the Burmese government to
>begin direct dialogue with pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu kyi and
other
>democratic and ethnic leaders.
>
>US should work with Burmese junta to eradicate drugs
>
>Obviously it is that time of the year again. On May 23 the Washington
Times