: PRESIDENT EXTENDS AUTHORITY FOR B

The following  is the Press Release  from the White House.

Sincerely,

Julien Moe
------------------
*EPF202 05/19/98
TEXT: PRESIDENT EXTENDS AUTHORITY FOR BURMA SANCTIONS
(Government of Burma continues large-scale repression) (570)
Geneva -- President Clinton extended for another year the state of
emergency that provided the legislative authority for the
administration's sanctions against the Burmese regime.
In a letter transmitting the extension to Congress May 18, the president
said: "As long as the Government of Burma continues its policies of
committing large-scale repression of the democratic opposition in Burma,
this situation continues to pose an unusual and extraordinary threat to
the national security and foreign policy of the United States."
Following is the text of the transmittal letter and the Federal Register
notice of the extension:
(begin letter text)
May 18, 1998
TO THE CONGRESS OF THE UNITED STATES:
THE WHITE HOUSE
Office of the Press Secretary
(Geneva, Switzerland)
May 18, 1998
TO THE CONGRESS OF THE UNITED STATES:
Section 202(d) of the National Emergencies Act (50 U.S.C. 1622(d))
provides for the automatic termination of a national emergency unless,
prior to the anniversary date of its declaration, the President
publishes in the Federal Register and transmits to the Congress a notice
stating that the emergency is to continue in effect beyond the
anniversary date. In accordance with this provision, I have sent the
enclosed notice to the Federal Register for publication, stating that
the emergency declared with respect to Burma is to continue in effect
beyond May 20, 1998.
As long as the Government of Burma continues its policies of committing
large-scale repression of the democratic opposition in Burma, this
situation continues to pose an unusual and extraordinary threat to the
national security and foreign policy of the United States. For this
reason, I have determined that it is necessary to maintain in force
these emergency authorities beyond May 20, 1998.
WILLIAM J. CLINTON
THE WHITE HOUSE,
May 18, 1998.
(end letter text)
(begin notice text)
THE WHITE HOUSE
Office of the Press Secretary
(Geneva, Switzerland)
May 18, 1998
NOTICE
-- - -- - -- -
CONTINUATION OF EMERGENCY WITH RESPECT TO BURMA
On May 20, 1997, I issued Executive Order 13047, effective at 12:01 a.m.
eastern daylight time on May 21, 1997, certifying to the Congress under
section 570(b) of the Foreign Operations, Export Financing, and Related
Programs Appropriations Act, 1997 (Public Law 104-208), that the
Government of Burma has committed large-scale repres-sion of the
democratic opposition in Burma after September 30, 1996, thereby
invoking the prohibition on new investment in Burma by United States
persons, contained in that section. I also declared a national emergency
to deal with the threat posed to the national security and foreign
policy of the United States by the actions and policies of the
Government of Burma, invoking the authority, inter alia, of the
International emergency Economic Powers Act (50 U.S.C. 1701-1706).
The national emergency declared on May 20, 1997, must continue beyond
May 20, 1998, as long as the Government of Burma continues its policies
of committing large-scale repression of the democratic opposition in
Burma. Therefore, in accordance with section 202(d) of the National
Emergencies Act (50 U.S.C. 1622(d)), I am continuing the national
emergency with respect to Burma. This notice shall be published in the
Federal Register and transmitted to the Congress.
WILLIAM J. CLINTON
THE WHITE HOUSE,
May 18, 1998.
(end notice text)