Letter To The Washington Times Edit

Letter to the Washington Times Editor

An article written by The Washington Times' staff writer Richard Slusser "The
way things were - and still are"  on April 19 disturbed me so much. Richard
felt that Burma was safer place to live. It was wrong.

Let me clarify some points from the article. In Rangoon and through out the
Burma, hundreds of thousands undercover secret police known as Military
Intelligent agents (MI) are patrolling 24 hours a day. That was why Mr.
Slusser did see many uniformed policemen in Burma. No Burmese talks about
politics in public because the secret police arrests anyone at anytime when he
or she speaks about the politics. That was why Mr. Slusser  did not heard much
about the regime.

Let me explain why Burma is singled out among the human rights abuses as
following.

My a little sister asked me before I left home in 1988, after the SLORC took
over power, to buy a Mickey Mouse watch when I came back home. But I did not
have a chance to head back home. At that time she was about 12. Eight years
later, I got a bad massage from Burma that my sister was arrested by the
regime in December 1996 when she took parts during the students' protest. I do
not know she is whereabouts now. I again wonder how long she can be waited in
the notorious prison for her favorite Mickey Mouse watch.

At last, I cannot imagine how many of my brothers and sisters will be left in
Burma when we reunite. Pray and hope becomes by daily business.

RP Editor