THE NATION: There is indeed a Garde

Mailbag

      There is indeed a Garden
      of Eden but it's not in
      Burma

      With regard to the ramblings of Pat James
      (Letters, April 5) who seems to have found
      the Garden of Eden in a place named
      Burma, it would appear that he may be less
      than fully informed.

      Having lived somewhere over rainbow for
      eight years and being such a staunch
      defender of that country's heavily-armed,
      combat-ready guardian angels, it's
      amazing that Mr James is completely
      unaware that the name of his paradise was
      unceremoniously changed by a
      dysfunctional Slorc, from Burma to
      Myanmar, many enchanting sunsets ago.
      Only those with absolutely no respect for the
      authority stolen by these grubby goblins,
      continue to use the name Burma. This
      group comprises 99 per cent of the
      country's population plus most of the free
      world including Texas, which is well known
      for its high number of executions.

      I wonder if Mr James is aware that a man
      named Lin Minxiang was appointed by the
      odious Slorc as a delegate to the National
      Convention called to draft a new
      constitution for Burma. As a distinguished
      citizen, highly regarded by the Slorc elite,
      Lin is also officially recognised as a ''local
      militia commander'', and is very well known
      in international underworld circles for his
      refineries which are helping to flood the Far
      East, Australia and the United States with
      heroin. Surely, Mr James must be aware
      that heroin destroys human beings. Even
      Texans.

      As an American who has lived and worked
      in Asia for over 40 years, I would risk my life
      for Aung San Suu Kyi's vision of a free and
      democratic Union of Burma. I would not,
      however, risk one kyat on a bet that Pat
      James is very sure about where he is.

      Edwin J Gallagher

      Bangkok