The role of the Tatmadaw

FROM:Thinzar Khine, <Thinzar@xxxxxxxxxx>

In perpetual service

Perspectives, the NLM, Saturday, 14 March 1998

The role of the Tatmadaw, from the Commander-in-Chief on down to the rank
and file, is dedication to perpetual service of the people.

The role, or rather the honour of fulfilling this duty, was bestowed upon
the Tatmadaw ever since it was established.  The Tatmadaw was not
established just so we could have one.  Based on the realization that we
must have a fighting force worth its name, worth serving the people, it was
founded by young patriots who had pledged their lives to success of the
freedom struggle.

We were a sovereign, independent nation, with our own monarchs who reigned
to see that there was public well being and that the Sasana was properly
propagated and flourished.

We fought three major wars and many engagements with the colonialists who
came with sinister designs and although we kept them at bay many times,
they overpowered us and eventually took our land.

Only those who have lived under foreign rule know what it is to be in such
a predicament.  The country was put to shame by the shameless people who
usurped sovereign power and kept our nationals in servitude.  Even the last
reigning monarch was taken away to India for involuntary exile.

With the trauma of such sufferings, with nationalism undiminished, the
people of all parts of Myanmar had their chins up even under dire
consequences.

In the war years when we had the fascists coming in after driving out the
colonialists, we suffered all the more.  Yet, based on the pre-war
strengthening of nationalism and higher awakening under new alien rulers,
we were determined more than ever before to drive out whoever had ventured
to intrude.

The core of the Tatmadaw was trained by well wishers who were different
from those who we later unmasked, and we took strength in the entire nation
being exposed to getting to use arms, to be better equipped, both
spiritually and physically.

The Tatmadaw marched in to retake Yangon and picked up both strength and
determination to wrest ourselves free.

With independence regained, there have been times when the Tatmadaw, in
addition to shouldering national defence duties, was called upon to take up
the duties of State.

In perpetual service of the people, the Tatmadaw has proved to be truly a
patriotic guardian.  It shall ever be.  Strong and modern, it shall do its
part well.

********