Into the 21st Century

FROM: Thinzar Khine, <Thinzar@xxxxxxxxxx>

Into the 21st Century
Perspectives, the NLM, Sunday, 15 March 1998

As we stride into the 21st Century, we make sure that we prepare our youths
for all-round development so that apart from being physically strong,
morally straight and mentally awake, they are up-to-date in technology.

That, of course, leads us to being computer friendly in the broader sense
of the word because other than using the computer as a modern substitute
for the typewriter, the users must also be well versed in the more
sophisticated applications.

For that, you need up-to-date equipment and related training without which
users cannot bring themselves abreast of worldwide developments.

The Government, with the help of well-wishers, has been embarking upon
computerization of schools and institutions of higher learning to ensure
that the youth, as well as others involved in computer use, learn the
necessary applications.

Addressing the opening ceremony of the instructor course for teaching
English with the use of CDS, Myanmar Education Committee Chairman
Secretary-1 of the State Peace and Development Council said Myanmar is
striving for all-round national development and trying to catch up with
other countries, and that by teaching youths modern technology, an
increasing number of capable citizens will emerge thus expediting our bid
for greater development.

In order to provide an avenue toward industrialization, computer science is
being brought within reach of those who deserve it.

The Secretary-1 recalled that since 1996, altogether 3,000 Apple MacIntosh
computers were purchased, of which 1,700 were installed at basic education
schools and the rest at training centres of universities and institutes,
medical institutes, Union Solidarity and Development Association, Central
Institute of Public Service, University for Development of National Races
and other military and civil institutions.

Curriculum development, conducting of courses basic and advanced, and the
televised teaching of computerised "Lets Go" English language series side
by side with other similar series have got the pupils well acquainted.

Now that computerised English will be brought to school rooms that are
computer friendly, further strides can be expected on the way to progress
in the 21st Century.
********