Striving together with the Tatmadaw

FROM: Thinzar Khine, <Thinzar@xxxxxxxxxx>

Striving together with the Tatmadaw
Perspectives, the NLM, Monday, 16 March 1998

The 53rd Anniversary Armed Forces Day, one of the most significant days of
our freedom struggle, will be observed soon.  Our Tatmadaw was established
with the full backing of the people while we were fighting the colonialists
to regain our national independence.  The basic spirit and concept of the
Tatmadaw is to safeguard the motherland and be in perpetual service of the
people.

It is the tradition of the Tatmadaw to participate in services which will
bring benefits to the people.  It not only always works for national
defence but also leads the nation whenever needed.  The Tatmadaw assumed
the duties of State on 18 September 1988 to save the nation just in time
when it was facing the dangers threatening disintegration of the Union,
disintegration of national solidarity and loss of sovereignty.

At the fifth meeting of Leading Committee for Organizing the 53rd
Anniversary Armed Forces Day, Chairman of the Leading Committee Chief of
Bureau of Special Operations Chief of Staff (Army) Secretary-2 of the State
Peace and Development Council Lt-Gen Tin Oo said that today the State Peace
and Development Council is striving all-out for emergence of a peaceful,
modern and developed nation and for discipline-flourishing democracy
upholding our Three Main National Causes and implementing the 12 National
Objectives and also in keeping with the four-point People's Desire.

He said ample success has been achieved in building a brilliant, strong and
modern Tatmadaw and a peaceful, modern and developed nation as a result of
cooperation among the people, the government and the Tatmadaw.

While preparations are being made for observance of the 53rd Anniversary
Armed Forces Day to show morale, discipline, loyalty, solidarity and
capability which are characteristics of each and every Tatmadawman and
Tatmadaw unit, the axe-handles who cannot bear to see such a significant
event succeed are attempting to commit subversive acts by destabilizing the
nation and undermining the prevalence of law and order instigating
political unrest, he said.

We have seen that all the people of the Union have always been able to win
victory over dangers of traitorous elements outside attempting to break up
the Union.

It is vital for all national races together with the Tatmadaw to unitedly
and conscientiously strive for the successful implementation of national
objectives laid down for the establishment of a new modern, developed
nation and also the objectives for the 53rd Anniversary Armed Forces Day.