Student Sports Festival (r)

In preparation of the Sports Festival the Burmese military astrologers
predicted that three men had to be killed at the stadium for the festival to
be successful. We learned that one man was killed by the military just
before Chrisma 1997. In January 1998 a Mr. Kong Lwe was abducted while
walking at dusk in Haka.  A white cloth was thrown over him and wrapped by
the white cloth he was taken to the stadium.  Having known the story of the
first man killed at the stadium Mr. Kong Lwe pleaded with the soldiers to
allowed him to pray. When he prayed and the white cloth was removed the
Burmese military soldiers realized that they had abducted the Head Master of
the Haka High School, and they released him.

In preparation for the ceremony, the people of the Chin State were barred
from cultivating their fields, they were not allowed to leave their
villages, not even to their fields.  Rice import from Burma was not allowed.
The Chin were not allowed to fire their fields which was necessary for slash
and burn method of farming. The expalnation was that the smoke was going to
disturb the view of the Festival. The Chin are very worried now that they
will not harvest any food this year. Their trade roads to their relatives in
India were sealed by threats of shoot-on-sight by the Burmese military.

Since the start of the Festival the soldiers stood guard at one furlong
intervals on the way to Hakha from Kalemyo, which is 75 miles long.
The soldiers standing on guard numbered over twenty thousand as they had to
change shifts.  Chin villages along the road were forced at gun point to
feed these soldiers.  This had been going on since 28th of March and will
continue until April 8th, 1998.