Suu Kyi's message for International

A message from Aung San Suu Kyi
for International Women?s Day

	Today is a day for both thought and action. We have to give thought to the
reasons why there is a need to have an international women?s day and we
have to be prepared to act in accordance with that need.
	It cannot be doubted that in most countries today women, in comparison to
men, still remain underprivileged. Often we are reduced to the status of
the weaker gender not because of our physical fragility but because our
position has been weakened by social decree. In too many parts of the
world, the vulnerability of women is exploited. In some cases they are
subjected to such strong social strictures that their lives become a mere
travesty of the wholesome existence to which every human being has a right.
Young girls start off life with a gross handicap when they are deprived of
proper education and even proper medical care because they are not valued
by their society. Such discrimination not only constitutes injustice to
women, it is hurtful to the whole human race. It is only by creating
conditions under which women are given an equal opportunity with men to
develop their talents that our world will be able to reap the full benefits
of a healthy community.
	The disadvantages with which women are forced to cope have to be offset
through solidarity and endeavour. International Women?s Day is an
appropriate time to focus attention on ways and means of strengthening our
solidarity and developing our capacity for movements that will empower
women and enable them to take their rightful place in the social and
political development of their society.
	This is also a wonderful opportunity for me to thank all those women,
young and old, from across the globe who have demonstrated the most heart
warming solidarity for the cause of democracy in Burma. The dedication and
intelligence which they bring to bear on their selfless task, their
capacity for hard work, the humour and friendship they unfailingly
demonstrate under the most trying circumstances, have filled me time and
again with renewed hope and courage. With such women, broad of mind and big
of heart, there is every likelihood that civilized solutions can be found
to our most difficult problems.
	May International Women?s Day this year constitute a milestone in the
endeavour to make the world a safer, happier home not just for women but
for the whole human race.

                                                    (signed)
                                               Aung San Suu Kyi
                                                     Rangoon