INFORMATION SHEET NO.A-0325(I) (fw

This so-called information sheet said an honorary doctorate degree had
been conferred on U Khin Shwe by "Washington University of the United
States."

I tried calling Washington University in St. Louis at 314-935-5000, but
could not locate a Dr. Lim or a Prof. Rosenthal, who supposedly gave the
purported honorary degree. I also called the University of Washington in
Seattle at 206-543-2100, and could not locate these people there either.
So I tried George Washington University in the District of Columbia at
202-994-1000, and again, no one of that name.

So I contacted the person known as OKKAR, who posts the so-called
information sheets.  I asked him to verify the information he posted.  He
has not responded at all.

Next I called Ms. Laura Livingston at the PR firm of Bain and Associates,
a company which represents the regime in Burma, presumably the source of
the so-called information sheet.  Ms. Livingston, at 703-549-9592, did not
return my calls.

Finally I called the regime's embassy in Washington, DC at 202-332-9044.
I spoke with both a "Ms. Khain" and a "Minister Tun."  Neither were able
to provide any information on the claims in the so-called information
sheet.

One must come to the conclusion that the information in the so-called
information sheet is false.

This supports the feelings of many that the so-called "information sheets"
can not be considered credible.

On this basis, it seems that the international media should no longer
report on the contents of "information sheets" unless they are either
confirmed by a reliable source, or unless the report contains the caveat
"some of the 'information sheets' have been found to contain profound
inaccuracies," and "the 'information sheets' do not include any contact
information to verify the information contained therein, in violation of
customary standards of the news business."

Larry Dohrs
206-784-5742

>                                               INFORMATION SHEET
>

>  NO.A-0325(I)
> 21st February   1998
>

> (1)	Washington University Confers Honorary Doctor of Philosophy in Business
> Administration on Zaykabar U Khin Shwe
>
>  	A ceremony to confer honorary Doctor of Philosophy in Business
Administration