The BurmaNet News: March 31, 1998

------------------------ BurmaNet ------------------------
"Appropriate Information Technologies, Practical Strategies"

The BurmaNet News: March 31, 1998
Issue #971

HEADLINES:
==========
THE NATION:  ARMY BRACES FOR IMMINENT KAREN ATTACK
THE NATION:  REFUGEES CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE
THE NATION:  RANGOON SAYS KNU KILLED ONLY 8 VILLAGERS
BANGKOK POST:  BURMESE TROOPS MASS NEAR BORDER
COURIER-MAIL:  SAFETY FOR AUSTRALIAN
THE HINDU:  INDIA, MYANMAR SIGN CREDIT AGREEMENT
NLM:  ICRC OFFICIALS CALL ON DEPUTY MINISTER
ALTSEAN-BURMA:  RELIGIOUS INTOLERANCE
MDUF: STATEMENT ON THE SECOND PLENARY MEETING
THE NATION:  TURN CRISIS INTO A NEW OPPORTUNITY (SULAK)
ANNOUNCEMENT:  WEB RING FOR BURMA
ANNOUNCEMENT:  THAN GYAT - 98 AVAILABLE ON DVB WEB

THE NATION:  ARMY BRACES FOR IMMINENT KAREN ATTACK
March 27, 1998

The Army was out in force yesterday near the largest refugee camp
along the border with Burma after Prime Minister Chuan Leekpai
threatened retaliation if the camps are attacked in cross-border
raids.

Leaders of the camp at Mae Hla, the largest of a string of camps
sheltering some 100,000 refugees along the border, said they
anticipated an imminent attack by pro-Burma guerrillas to mark
Burma's Armed Forces Day holiday today.

Hundreds of Thai soldiers were strung along the roads around Mae
Hla, home to 30,000 people, and taking up position in the hills
to thwart any raid by the ethnic Karen guerrillas allied with
Burma's military regime.

Army chief Chettha Thanajaro on Wednesday said the camps should
not be used to harbour anti-Burma rebels and that able-bodied men
suspected of being combatants should be sent back to Burma to
defuse the threat of more cross-border raids.

Thailand is grappling for a solution to raids from Burma, by the
pro-Burma Democratic Karen Buddhist Army, (DKBA) guerrillas
against the refugees, mostly Karen.

The refugees largely support the Karen National Union, which has
fought the Burmese government for more autonomy for the Karen for
50 years.

In the past three weeks, raiders from the DKBA have repeatedly
crossed the rugged border, which is nearly impossible to seal
off, and burned two refugee camps and fired mortars at a third.

Meanwhile, more than 100,000 refugees who fled persecution and
fighting in Burma look set to benefit from an expected change in
Thailand's border policy, aid workers and officials said.

Thai officials are finalising plans to change a long-standing
policy and allow the United Nations High Commissioner for
Refugees (UNHCR) to run refugee camps along the Burmese border.

"We would like to have the UNHCR play a greater role," Deputy
Foreign Minister Sukhumbhand Paribatra told Reuters. "We want to
create conditions for more transparency."

Last month, the National Security Council (NSC) chaired a meeting
with UNHCR and concerned Thai agencies following Prime Minister
Chuan's mandate for UNHCR's greater role that will verify Thailand's
transparency in dealing with refugees.

At the Feb 19-21 meeting in Chiang Mai, the working group proposed that
UNHCR be allowed to help assess the situation in admission or refusal of
Burmese displaced persons into the country, participate in the registration
and  repatriation, witness the voluntary. repatriation and help Thailand
solve the refugee problems.

Although the detail has yet to be finalised, international observers and
aid workers applauded the proposed change."  The international community
has had this on their plate for time - urging the Thais to give UNHCR a
role," one US official said. "It would enhance the protection of refugees
at the border."

The Thai change-of-heart follows a series of attacks by Burmese-backed
guerilla on ethnic Karen refugee camps.

DKBA members, supported by the Burmese army, have raided and razed camps
this month, killing at least five people and burning 1,000 homes.

A UNHCR spokesman said the organisation is prepared to help Thailand ease
the burden of assisting refugees but has yet to receive a formal request.

Although non-governmental organisation (NGOs) are permitted to help out in
the sprawling camps along the border, Thailand has rejected repeated
requests from the UNHCR for an established presence there.

The Cabinet has addressed the camp issue but the final decision must be
made by the NSC, which is due to discuss with the UNHCR representative
soon, Sukhumbhand said.

"There are a number of things to be worked out - what kind of role (the
UNHCR would play) what kind of commitment (it would have), he said.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Kobsak Chutikul said the Cabinet on Tuesday
considered how to camps as they will be moved further inside Thailand and
whether combine some of the  camps for the sake of logistical  practicality.

The UNHCR, which has a  presence at refugee camps on the Cambodian border
and ran camps housing more than half a million Indochinese refugees on Thai
soil in the late 1970s to 1980s, conducts regular visits but must have
permission to go the camps near Burma

THE NATION:  REFUGEES CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE
March 27, 1998
Aung Zaw

IF THE ATTACKS ON THE KAREN REFUGEE CAMPS WERE A DIABOLICAL ATTEMPT BY THE
MILITARY JUNTA TO FORCE THESE PEOPLE TO RETURN TO BURMA, IT IS DEFINITELY
NOT WORKING .

A Karen man from Huay Kaloke refugee camp whose house was the
first set ablaze by rebel troops from Burma recalled, "When I
looked out there [rice field], I saw some people coming toward my
house. I suddenly realise they were enemies so I screamed and
ran. Then they started shooting."

Around 1:00 a.m. on March 11 the Rangoon-backed Karen guerrillas known
as the Democratic Karen Buddhist Army (DKBA) began pounding the
camp with mortar shells before they moved in. Approximately 200
troops attacked the refugees, armed with M-79 machine guns.

They left the camp in ashes. Two refugees, including a pregnant
woman, were killed and about 33 injured. A Christian church and the
hospital were burnt to the ground.

"They took all our money," cried a 40 years-old Karen woman.
Although the amount was only Btl20 it was her family's total
savings. Her daughter was hit by shrapnel and was in a serious
condition at the hospital.

"Water, water," the young girl whimpered.

"Do you think she will live"" her mother asked a reporter.

Refugees in the camp charged that the Burmese army was behind the
attack. The Karen Refugee Committee (KRC) and the Karen National
Union (KNU) also claimed that the government troops were involved
in the assault.

The aim of the attack is to force us to return to Burma," said
deputy camp leader Hla Wai.

"We don't feel safe here. But we are not moving. We cannot
forgive such a murderous attack on unarmed people," said a Karen
man. The attackers burned down 90 per cent of the houses. A total
of 1,300 shelters in the camp were razed to the ground and over
8,000 people made homeless. This is not the first time the camp
was attacked. It was raided last year, although no one was killed
then.

The assault on the refugees has drawn international outrage. The
United States, Burma's most vocal critic, condemned the attack
and called on Rangoon to halt the campaign of terror and
violence.

In Rangoon, the ruling junta spokesman rejected the accusation. A
senior Rangoon official was reported to say that the U.S. was
speaking prematurely and did not have all the facts.

The United Nations High Commission for Human Rights office in
Bangkok sent a team to investigate the attack. It also issued a
statement saying it was "deeply distressed" by the incident and
urged the Thai government to take measures to guarantee the
security of refugees near the Burmese border.

The Foreign Ministry submitted a protest letter to Burma. Human
rights groups accused the 3rd Region Army of doing nothing to
stop the attacks. A U.S. aid group and the KRC have both slammed
the 3rd Army for alleged inaction during the attack despite
having at least two hours' warning.

The Washington-based US Committee for Refugees said Thai  troops
were believed to have "done nothing to intervene".

Refugees at Huay Kaloke said Thai guards at the camp had learned
than the attack was imminent but did nothing. However, Army
officials said they had done everything they could. Saw Htoo Htoo
and other Karen women in the camp said there was no resistance
from the Thai troops.

"I think Thai guards knew they [DKBA] were coming," Saw Htoo Htoo
said.

In fact, border raids are nothing new. The DKBA and Rangoon
troops have repeatedly entered Thai territory and carried out
several cross-border raids. Refugees live in fear of these
attacks. Despite previous attacks little has been done to protect
them.

"The motive of these raids is a long-term strategy of the Burmese
army to terrorise the refugees into returning to Burma and to
force the armed KNU to enter into a cease-fire agreement," said an
NGO worker in Mae Sot. The KNU has held a series of cease-fire
talks with the Rangoon junta but has failed to reach an agreement.

A foreign observer in Mae Sot commented, "I don't see the people
going back. I don't quite understand this strategy and I don't
think that will encourage them to go back."

A few days after the attack, National Security Council (NSC)
Secretary-General Gen. Boonsak Kamheangridirong conceded that
Thailand had not done enough to stop the raids.

"We accept that we were inactive," Boonsak said after he visited
Huay Kaloke camp in the company of a number of Western diplomats.

Ironically, two days after his admission, the rebels launched a
new attack on Maw Kei camp. In the past two weeks, they attacked
Maw Kei camp.  In the past two weeks, they had attacked
three times. The other two camps attacked were Mae Hla and
Mawkier. The attackers threatened they would be back. In Mawkier,
about 50 houses were burned down and 14 people injured.
A week-old child and her mother were hit by shrapnel and are in
serious condition in Mae Sot hospital.

Refugees in the camps are frustrated and desperate.

"We don't know who to trust and depend on. It seems no one is
siding with us," said one.

Meanwhile the Army has issued a warning that it would pursue
errant Karen guerrillas who intrude into Thai territory. But few
people take this seriously. In Rangoon, a powerful general asked
his Thai counterpart to take action against the DKBA, denying
that the Burmese troops were involved in the recent raids and killings.

Nevertheless, the Rangoon generals are eager to cut a deal with
the KNU. But so far progress has not been very good. Instead,
there have been exchanges not only of angry words but also
bullets. A KNU official said Rangoon should stop killing Karen
refugees and burning their camps if they were really serious
about peace talks.

"As long as they do this, I don't see why we should make peace.
Burmese are not sincere about peace," he said.

Back in the camp, a Karen man who has lived there for 12 years
said, "The problem is that no one is talking about us. We are
completely being left out of the picture."

He paused, then gazing at the ashes where his house once stood,
he said, "We are high-class refugees."

When asked to elaborate, he explained, I mean we are refugees,
but on top of that we are robbed, killed and terrorised.

"I want the two sides to agree on a peaceful settlement," the
40-year-old mother said in a low voice while holding her
daughter's hand. "I'm not a politician, but I don't know when we
will see real peace."

At the hospital, Chit San Maung, a 12 years-old Karen boy,
pleaded with the nurses to amputate his leg which was hit by
bullets.

It is very painful and I can't stand it anymore," he cried.

"I want to go back [to Burma]," he said, "I want revenge."

He then asked his visitors to buy toys for him. When asked what
kind of toys he would like, he answered, "guns".

Burma, it appears, is still not ready for peace.

THE NATION:  RANGOON SAYS KNU ATTACKERS KILLED ONLY EIGHT VILLAGERS
March 29, 1998

Burmese' authorities insisted yesterday that eight villagers had
been killed when ethnic Karen rebels attacked three villages near
the Thai border, despite reports that the death toll had been as
high as 50.

In an official information sheet, the Rangoon junta said seven
women and one man had been killed in raids by Karen National
Union (KNU) rebels, making no mention of reports of higher death
tolls.

Meanwhile  KNU spokesman Nerdah confirmed that rebel troops had
attacked four sites inside Burma on Thursday, saying they had
also struck at the rival Democratic Karen Buddhist Army's (DKBA)
head-quarters.

"Our troops struck at four different DKBA-junta bases inside
Burma, including their headquarters just inside the border, but
as for casualties, I have no information, but there were casualties," he said.

Observers here have said the attacks were likely to be in
retaliation for earlier offensives on Karen refugee camps inside
Thailand blamed on the DKBA and the Burmese junta.

Senior Thai military sources at the border in the northwest of
the country opposite Myawaddy in Burma confirmed there had been
fighting across the border on Thursday but said it was  difficult
to determine casualty numbers.

"I can't confirm how many people died from that fighting because
it happened inside Burma, but some casualties are likely," he
said, adding that it sounded like a heavy clash.

"Some stray shells crossed into Thailand, and the military fired
a warning back, but nobody here was injured," the source said.

BANGKOK POST:  BURMESE TROOPS MASS NEAR BORDER
March 29, 1998
Supamart Kasem
Yuwadee Tunyasiri

A bout 2,000 Burmese government  troops have massed near the Thai
border to protect towns in the area after Karen National Union
rebels attacked and burned three pro-Rangoon Democratic Karen
Buddhist Army camps.

The KNU attack on the camps opposite Mae Sot district of Tak on
Thursday night left at least ten DKBA troops dead. It was in
revenge for a series of DKBA raids on Karen refugee camps on Thai
soil, said a border source.

The DKBA has pledged to continue raiding Karen refugee camps in
Thailand and will retaliate if attacked by Thai forces.

Defence volunteers in more than 20 Thai villages have been put on
full-alert for more cross-border raids. Umphang district chief
Charoen Singhayakul said on Friday that at least 2,000 Burmese
troops with the Southeastern Force had been deployed near Mae Tha
Raw Hta, opposite Poeng Khoeng village in Tambon Mae Chan. This
is about 80 kms southwest of Umphang town. The troops and
supplies have been deployed along the Kyainseikkyi-Mae Tha Raw
Hta road.

About 300 DKBA guerrillas, led by Capt Kana Mew, have also taken
up positions in Sakantis, opposite Khlo Tho village, about 30 kms
west of Umphang. They appeared ready to attack Nu Pho camp, said
Mr Charoen.

And about 300 renegade Karen troops with the Karen Peace Force
(KPF), led by Lt-Col Tue Mue Hae, are stationed in Htee Ka Pler
opposite Nong Luang village in Umphang. Mr Charoen said they were
poised to attack Nong Luang which has sheltered fugit*e Burmese
students belonging to the All Burma Students Democratic Front
(ABSDF).

Lt-Col Tue Mue Hae used to be with the KNU under vice president
Lt.-Gen. Saw Swe Chai but he broke away with a large number of
soldiers and joined Burmese government troops in Kyaikdon early
last year. This was during a suppression drive by Burmese forces
who captured many Burma-based KNU camps in February and March,
1997.

Forces under Lt.-Col. Tue Mue Hae and Capt. Kana Mew are likely to
attack Nu Pho camp, the source said.

About 600 Burmese troops with heavy artillery are entrenched
along the Moei river south of Myawaddy, opposite Huay Muang
village in Mae Sot's Tambon Tha Sai Luad.

They are prepared for possible KNU attacks on government
installations, shops and homes in Myawaddy.

On the Thai side about 10,000 villagers along the Thai border in
Mae Sot are ready to evacuate if fighting erupts. Soldiers, local
and border police and disaster relief volunteers with fire
engines, are also ready to respond.

Tak governor Phongpayom Wasapooti inspected readiness in Mae Sot
town on Friday night.

Mae Sot district chief Tawatchai Fak-angkoon told around 300
village defence volunteers: "With foreign forces massing along
the border, we have to take precautions to provide people with
safety." They will patrol with police and soldiers and Mr.
Tawatchai's home is being used as a communication centre.

COURIER-MAIL:  SAFETY FOR AUSTRALIAN
March 30, 1998 (an Australian newspaper)
By Stephen Spencer

An urgent diplomatic mission has been mounted to secure the  release of an
Australian kidnapped by Burmese-backed troops in north-west Thailand.
Foreign Minister Alexander Downer ordered an Australian  diplomat to the
region yesterday as his department said it was worried about the safety of
28-year-old artist Nick Cheeseman.

Australia has voiced concern about the kidnapping to the Thai and Burmese
embassies.  Mr Cheeseman and a Thai woman were abducted by pro-Burma junta
Buddhist Karen (DKBA) troops last Friday near Thailand's north-
western border with Burma, where tensions are high between rival Karen
factions.

Thai border patrol police have reportedly met the DKBA officer responsible
for the abduction.  Sources who overheard the conversation between the
border  police and the senior DKBA officers said the guerrillas had
promised to return their captives "four of five days" after they had
photographed conditions in the DKBA camp.  The pair were reported to have
been ordered at gunpoint across a river into Burma after being caught
taking photos near the Huay Kalok refugee camp, not far from the Thai
border town of Mae Sot, west of Bangkok. However, Thai military sources
said the two had crossed into Burma by  t themselves and had not been seen
since.

A Department of Foreign Affairs spokesman said Mr Downer had ordered the
department to take urgent action to secure Mr Cheeseman's release. . . . .
The spokesman said Mr. Cheeseman, a volunteer with Australian Volunteers
Abroad, was an artist working with an international refugee research
organisation in Bangkok called Burma Issues.  He was originally described
as a schoolteacher.

Bill Armstrong, chief executive of the Overseas Service Bureau which
manages AVA, said in Sydney the abduction was not "a hostage situation."
Mr Armstrong said Mr Cheeseman had been working in Thailand with
international organisation Burma Issues for five years.  Ten other
Australian volunteers were working on the Thai-Burma borders.

Mr Cheeseman's Adelaide relatives said they did not want to make a public
comment about the disappearance.

THE HINDU:  INDIA, MYANMAR SIGN CREDIT AGREEMENT
March 30, 1998

New Delhi, March 29: After a gap of over 20 years, India today signed an
agreement to extend a credit of $10 millions to Myanmar

A faxed message from the Indian Embassy in Yangon said the government to
government credit was signed by India's Ambassador, Mr Shyam Sharan, and
Myanmar's Director-General of the Ministry of Finance and Revenue, Mr U
Kyaw Hlaing.

The credit would be utilized to procure capital goods and consultancy
services from India, the message said.

NEW LIGHT OF MYANMAR:  ICRC OFFICIALS CALL ON DEPUTY MINISTER
March 29, 1998

YANGON - Deputy Minister for Home Affairs Brig.-Gen. Thura Myint Maung
received a three-member delegation of the International Committee of Red
Cross in Geneva,  Switzerland, at the Ministry of Home Affairs at 9 am
yesterday.  The ICRC officials were Mr. Bertrand Leyart of Switzerland, Mr.
Jens Asbjom of Denmark and Dr. Jose Echevarria of Spain.

They discussed their planned second tour of border areas in Myanmar.

Also present were Director-General of the Prisons Department U Kyaw Tun,
Deputy  Director-General of Myanmar Police Force Police Brig-Gen. Hla Tun,
President of Myanmar Red Cross Society, Dr. Hla Bu and officials.

ALTSEAN-BURMA:  ORAL INTERVENTION ON RELIGIOUS INTOLERANCE

Oral Intervention on Items 16 & 18 (clustered)
(Rights of persons belonging to national or ethnic, religious and
linguistic minorities/ Implementation of the Declaration on the Elimination
of All Forms of Intolerance and of Discrimination Based on Religion or Belief)

Delivered by Ms Debbie Stothard on behalf of Aliran Kesedaran Negara -
National Consciousness Movement

March 27, 1998

Mr. Chairman,

We note with concern the contents of the report presented by the Special
Rapporteur on Religious Intolerance.

It is always a cause for great concern when individuals and communities are
denied their civil, political, economic, cultural and social rights because
of their religious beliefs; more so when such practices are being
perpetrated by governments and their agents.

It is heartening to note that some governments have attempted to respond
positively to the concerns raised by the Special Rapporteur. We hope those
governments will continue in their efforts to establish societies which are
genuinely tolerant.

We are disappointed that some governments persist in denying the existence
of  problems concerning religious intolerance, and more importantly,
persist in denying their population their rights as human beings. We would
like to encourage these governments to understand that a population where
all people enjoy all their rights, is a prerequisite to genuine peace and
development.

We note, with growing alarm that religion continues to be used widely as
an excuse to inflict human rights violations which include criminal
behavior, such as murder, assault, rape, and robbery, upon vast
numbers of people across the world.

In countries notorious for their human rights abuses upon the general
population, religious minorities seem to be targeted for "extra special"
abuse and harassment.

It is important to note that in such situations of systematic and
widespread human rights violations, even the clergy of the majority
religion is subjected to attack, threats and harassment.

An example of how such violations and harassment is perpetrated is Burma.
The military regime of Burma has been systematically targeting
religious minorities for harassment and/or violation. This is especially
true in the case of Muslims in Arakan State and Karen State as well as
Christians in Chin State, Sagaing Division and Karen State. It is
understood that such persecution is imposed upon Muslims and Christians in
other parts of the country as well.

Those who are Muslim or Christian are targeted to do extra days of forced
labor, in some areas, Buddhists are given less or no forced labor tasks.
Religious structures have been destroyed or closed down, and religious
celebrations prohibited or tightly controlled.

Many Muslims have had their citizenship denied or revoked, even refugees
from the Thai-Burmese border wishing to return to Burma are reportedly not
welcomed back unless they convert to Buddhism [see attachment 1 and 2].

The destruction of mosques and religious schools has become common [as
outlined in attachment 3 and 4], as has harassment by officials against
Muslims and denial of access to health, education and government employment.

A special strategy targeting Muslims who arrive at the jetty in the town of
Akyab has been the notorious "ASEAN gate" -- only Muslims are supposed to
wait at the ASEAN gate; during this time they are often physically
humiliated and extorted of money by officials before being allowed to
proceed into the town [see attachment 5].

[Documentation received has revealed that] in Chin State and Sagaing Division
where most of the civilians are Christian, soldiers have been desecrating
churches and graveyards by turning them into army camps, disturbing
religious ceremonies and preventing evangelists from preaching to their
parish [see attachment 6].

The military has also been arresting people upon leaving a church service,
forcing Christian villagers to build Buddhist pagodas and coercing people
to convert to Buddhism.

Those who become Buddhists are exempt from forced labor and may receive
extra food supply. In Chin State, education has also been used as a means
to separate Christian parents from their children, who are then taken away
to be forcibly "educated" as Buddhists.

The clergy of the majority religion, Buddhism, has been subject to
harassment, threats and imprisonment. Recent examples include: the January
arrest of a monk named Sanda Thiri and 18 students who demanded the release
of other imprisoned monks, the barring of a Sangha [Buddhist clergy]
meeting in December to discuss military interference in their work, and the
forced disrobing of 8 monks who were subsequently imprisoned in November.

Clearly, these examples document how people are dehumanized and denied
their rights to assert themselves as whole persons in their choice and
practice of religion. Such behavior by authorities fracture the society and
have severe consequences on the long term peace and stability of the world.

Therefore, we respectfully call upon all member and observer states of the
United Nations Commission on Human Rights to commit themselves to the noble
aim of eliminating ALL forms of intolerance and discrimination, including
that based on religion or belief.

Thank you.

Note: Attachments presented as supporting evidence included:
Attachment 1: BKK POST: BURMA SAYS NO TO RETURN OF MUSLIMS, August 11, 1997
Attachment 2: BKK POST: REFUGEES FORCED TO CONVERT TO BUDDHISM, July 19, 1997
Attachment 3: INDEPENDENT REPORT: LIST OF MSQUES DESTROYED, July 31, 1997
Attachment 4: ARAKAN BURMA: SITUATION IN ARAKAN, August 9. 1997
Attachment 5: A letter to BURMA DEBATE, Nov/Dec 1997
Attachment 6: excerpts from ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT? Published by
Images Asia, January 1998
Attachments 1 - 5 were excerpted from the BurmaNet

MDUF: STATEMENT OF THE SECOND PLENARY MEETING OF THE CENTRAL COMMITTEE OF
THE MYEIK-DAWEI UNITED FRONT
March 30, 1998
htuntaut@xxxxxxxxxxxx

[English edited]

(BurmaNet Editor's Note: The MDUF is based in the Tenasserim Division and
mostly consists of ethnic Tavoyans who have been engaging in armed struggle
against the military junta for several years.)

Statement of the 2nd plenary meeting of the Central Committee of Myeik-
Dawei United Front.

The 2nd  plenary meeting of the Central Committee of the Myeik- Dawei
United Front (MDUF) was successfully held from March 22, 1998 to March 28.
1998 at one the forest camps in Burma. The meeting had seriously discussed
about the present situation in Burma and unanimously approved the following
decisions.

1. Among various contradictions occurring within the Society of Burma, the
contradiction between the military regime on one side and the masses of
people of all nationalities on the other, is the main contradiction.
2. The masses of people of all nationalities of Burma desire peace and
development as their national aspiration with heart and soul. But contrary
to their desire, the main culprit that hinder peace and development in the
country is no other then SPDC, the military regime.
3. MDUF shall co operate with any political force to struggle for the
abolishment of the state constitution to be adopted by the Sham National
Convention of the military junta.
4. MDUF solemnly reckons that national equality, unity and self
determination are the natural birthrights for all the nationalities.
5. MDUF earnestly believes that the NLD led by Daw Aung San Su Kyi and
SPDC, the military junta should meet to realize the 1990 general  election
result.
6. In struggling against SPDC, the military regime, for the determination
of democratic rights, we firmly believe that, the internal pressure  must
be a primary factor, where as, external pressure be secondary one, which is
the universal truth for the victory of the democratic revolution.

The meeting finally elected the following Central Executive Committee
members of MDUF.
	(1) U Saw Han, Chairman, (Foreign Affairs)
	(2) Senior Commander Bo Soe Lwin, Vice-Chairman,(Military Affairs)
	(3) U Tin Oo, Secretary, (Organization and Education)
	(4) U Tin Shein, Deputy Secretary (Propaganda and Publicity)
	(5) U Aung Tha (Finance)
	(6) U Saw Lwin (Economy)
	(7) U Kyi Han (Alliance)

We hereby solemnly declare that we shall co-operate with any political
force and organization for the total abolishment of the so called the 3 M,
i.e., the military regime, the military dictatorship and the military
bureaucratic machinery.

Democratic Revolution must win.  Down with SPDC, the military regime.

March 28. 1998.					Central Committee
  					         Myeik Dawei United Front

THE NATION:  TURN CRISIS INTO A NEW OPPORTUNITY
March 27, 1998

SOCIAL CRITIC SULAK SIVARAKSA APPEALS TO THE ASIAN AND EUROPEAN LEADERS DUE
TO MEET AT THE ASIA-EUROPE SUMMIT IN LONDON NEXT WEEK.

The world community today is facing a great crisis that demands a
revolution no smaller than the one that led Europe out of Middle
Ages to the modern era. As you may be aware, crisis also means
opportunity. So, as leaders in this crucial time of history, you
are responsible for making the right decision to turn our crisis
into a new opportunity for redirecting human society from common
disaster into common good and well-being.

A common mistake of both European and Asian leaders has been
their putting economic growth as the supreme aim. Western Europe
has humanised their approach to some extent by some measures of
income distribution, democratic institutions and human rights
standards as well as constant improvement in environmental
regulations. But this is not enough as it still functions within
the growth-oriented framework and encourages excessive
consumerism. This is also achieved not without exploiting fellow
human beings and the natural resources.

This trend needs to be reversed along with the reduction of our
material standard of living in which we consume more than our
fair share of the world's natural resources. New moral frameworks
need to be formulated both at the structural and personal level.
For example, owning a private car must be morally wrong
considering the consequences if all the people in China and India
were to have cars.

The irony is that Asian countries have been crudely following
this path of unlimited growth-oriented development without as
much a care for human rights and the environment. Hence, human
rights abuse and environmental destruction continues despite
economic growth. And accompanying this growth come women
trafficking, child labour, discrimination against ethnic
minorities and other social ills.

The most recent shameful case is the Yadana gas pipeline project
that cut a gash up to 30 km long in Burma, forcing the relocation
of around 13 ethnic villages. The pipeline, partly built with
forced labour, will also be the largest income earner for the
Burmese military regime. Financed by French giant Total and the
American Unocal, such land of action would have caused an outcry
in their own countries.

A the pipeline reaches the Thai Border, local people in
Kanchanaburi are strongly protesting against the project in the
hope of saving some of the last remaining forests in the country.
But when things got hot, the army was sent in.

>From a spiritual perspective this kind of development does not
truly benefit anyone. Even when the rich get richer, their
quality of life gets poorer. In the rich sectors of society there
is increasing unemployment, disregard for older people and the
disintegration of the community and family.

As leaders, you may all be aware that multinational corporations
are the new monsters that need to be tamed and kept under control
otherwise governments would be reduced to just puppets to serve
their power. These companies strategically plan activities in
areas with low labour costs and with favourable conditions such
as the lack of environmental protection.

These multinationals, in cahoots with the media, are creating
increasing demand for consumer goods. The multinationals' 'view
of development, supported by the Asean and the European Union, is
an eternal search for new markets to exploit. Thus, it is the
moral choice of governments as to whether they are on the side of
the people they are accountable to or be the servants of the
multinationals.

There is strong evidence that ecosystems around the world are
breaking as we see phenomena like falling water tables, flooding
and climate change. In short, the development model promoted by
the West is not sustainable. It is devastating our planet and we
can no longer continue with this Western throw-away lifestyle.

>From a Buddhist perspective - and I am sure other spiritual
perspectives would agree - a more frugal lifestyle that [is] in
harmony with the natural environment is not only necessary for
the survival of the Earth but is more beneficial as happiness
comes from the reduction of greed, hatred and delusion, and not
from satisfying these desires.  I would like to emphasize again
that we are all part of a new revolution and it is our common
responsibility to redirect our collective karma from moving to a
common disaster by  exploiting each other and destroying our
planet. The new direction is the path of spiritual enlightenment,
compassion for each other and are for Mother Earth.

SULAK SIVARAKSA is a recipient of the Right Livelihood Award, the
'alternative' Nobel Prize.

ANNOUNCEMENT:  WEB RING FOR BURMA
March 30, 1998
<heiko.schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear BurmaNet Subscribers:
I want to create a Web Ring for Burma to associate Burma related pages.
Both cultural and political, but I need interested Web Page owners.

The Web Ring is a kind of Search Engine which connects all joined Sites
together, via a browser every member puts somewhere on his Site, Burma
interested people can browse through all Burmese Sites.

Heiko Schaefer

ANNOUNCEMENT:  THAN GYAT - 98 AVAILABLE ON DVB WEB
March 30, 1998
<euburma@xxxxxxxxx>

Dear Friends,

As you know, Democratic Voice of Burma(DVB)  daily broadcast is uploaded
shortly after it is broadcast. You can retrieve all our programs at
<http://www.communique.no/dvb/> for the previous two weeks.

Now, we are pleased to inform you that you can  listen Thin Gyan Than Gyat
programs by The Democratic Forces in India at our DVB's Web page -
<http://www.communique.no/dvb/archive/1998/audio/specials/than_gyat/>. You
can also reach there by clicking New Icon from DVB main Page.

DVB congratulates the democratic forces in India for this brilliant Than
Gyat-98.  They sent us a cassette with the Burmese New Year rap songs. We
thought they were so excellent that we wanted to share them with all of you
who are far away from Burma, and miss the celebrations.

We promise you will enjoy yourselves.