BP: Decision to expel Burme

Mailbag

      Decision to expel
      Burmese workers is
      unworkable

      Referring to the article by Mukdawan
      Sakboon (March 14, The Nation), I fully
      agree with the view that the Thai
      government's decision on illegal labourers
      is not viable. As some of the participants
      from concerned groups had expressed
      during the public hearing, Burmese are
      being abused by Thai authorities.

      It is true that many Burmese immigrant
      workers are paying Bt3,000-5,000 each to
      Thai authorities, especially the police, for
      their safe return. Those who do not
      cooperate are arrested on their way home
      and their property, such as money, gold and
      other goods, are confiscated. If the Thai
      government really wants to implement its
      decision, it should take full responsibility in
      sending these workers back safely.

      I also highly appreciate the proposal made
      at the public hearing that employers and
      illegal migrant workers who want to go
      home be exempted from legal prosecution
      for a certain period and those who will not
      leave voluntarily or who face danger upon
      arrival in Burma should be allowed to
      continue working temporarily.

      In addition, I would like to express my
      heartfelt thanks to the Thai government for
      allowing Burmese to work here for years. If
      the indicators expressed by participants in
      the public hearing that only a few Thais are
      willing to take over the jobs of immigrant
      workers are true, I would like to appeal the
      Thai government to review its decision to
      replace illegal immigrant workers with local
      workers. I also urge the Thai government to
      take into account the appeal of our
      democracy leader Daw Aung San Suu Kyi
      on the matter.

      Ba Maung Zin