Myanmar protesters demonstrate in T

Myanmar protesters demonstrate in Tokyo over loan
07:39 a.m. Mar 13, 1998 Eastern
TOKYO, March 13 (Reuters) - Several dozen Myanmar (Burma) pro-democracy
advocates demonstrated in front of Japan's foreign ministry on Friday in
protest against a one-off resumption of Japanese aid to the country.

The protest was set off by Japan's decision earlier this month to extend
emergency aid of 2.5 billion yen ($19.5 million) in loans to Myanmar for
renovating Yangon International Airport.

The yen loan would be the first new money given to Myanmar's ruling junta by
Japan since the military took power in 1988 when aid was cut off.

``The yen loan does not represent a resumption of overseas development
assistance,'' a foreign ministry official told Reuters ahead of the protest
which was staged outside the ministry in central Tokyo.

The money is to repair a runway, construct an improved control tower and
install a light system.

The Japanese government considers all these items essential for maintaining
safety at Yangon's airport as it handles an increasing number of flights,
the official said.

Japan saw its first yen loan to Myanmar in about a decade as being ``limited
to an existing project'' and was not considering resuming economic
assistance, the official said.

Japan extended yen loans for the airport in 1984 and 1986.

Officials for All Nippon Airways Co Ltd, the only Japanese carrier with
direct flights between Japan and Myanmar, would not comment on the airport
loan.

``We have had no problems with our operations at Yangon airport,'' an ANA
official said. ``We are happy when an airport is improved, no matter where
it is.''

ANA offers three round trip flights a week between Osaka and Yangon and
applied last week for Japanese Transport Ministry approval to operate
service between Bangkok and Myanmar.

A spokesman for Friday's protest said the loan could only help Myanmar's
rulers.

``Ordinary people cannot use the airport or aeroplanes, so that's why the
Japanese aid is not suitable to give to the Burmese military government. So
that's why I'm demonstrating against the Japanese government,'' said
spokesman Kyaw Lun Tin.

``I know the intention of the ODA is good, to help the people of Burma, but
it is in fact going to be of benefit to the military generals and the
airlines doing business with the generals,'' said Kyaw Kyaw Soe, a
representative of the Burma Youth Volunteer Association.

Copyright 1998 Reuters Limited.