Canadian Burmese Newsletter

Canada now has a Burmese language periodical.  The first edition of
BurmaNews was published in time for celebrations of Union Day and Mon
Mational Day held in Vancouver, BC, on February 14th.  An overflow crowd at
the event sponsored by the Mon National Organization of Canada snapped up
150 copies of the 12 page journal.  Additional copies will be circulated to
organizations and news services requesting it.  It is expected that the
newsletter will be published monthly.

There are about 8-900 Burmese speaking people in the Vancouver area.  Since
1993 more than 300 refugees sponsored by the Canadian government and
private organizations have settled in the city.

Editor, San Aung, who came to Vancouver with his family about a year ago,
indicated that the paper will follow an independent line.  We want to make
sure that new arrivals and others don't lose contact with what is going on
in Burma and Thailand and elsewhere, he said.  Most of the newcomers can't
access the news on the BurmaNet and Canadian media don't carry a lot of
news about Burma.  We're especially open to getting news in Burmese.

News or subscriptions can be faxed to the editor at 1-604-589-0034 or
emailed to <celsus@xxxxxxxxxxx>