WHAT I SAW AND HEARD IN MYANMAR By (r)

I do not agree with Dr. Ohmae's views in his article. He appears only to
have seen things that the SLORC want him to see and there are some
incredible statements. Possibly he has been shown around by the SLORC
which would account for the large oversights here.
There are many businessmen who are prospering but there are thousands of
times more people who are not. They will continue to suffer unless there
is a change in SLORC policy. People who look for money tend to treat it as
an absolute. They look at nothing else.

> However, it is also true that there are so
> many similar unlawful governments backed up by military forces exist in
> Asia,Africa, South America and all over the world. I believe almost half of
> 189 countries in the world have similar governments and it is not strange
> thing at all.

This is not a good argument for whether these govenments are a benefit. In
fact it is these countries which are amongst the poorest and have the
worst standards of living. This is obviously linked to their government.

> However, Myanmar is one of most charming country in the world to invest. The
> people of Myanmar are known as pious Buddhists with high morality and warm
> hearted. Except only for the mountainous region in northern part of the
> country, public peace in the country is maintained very well. I think it is
> the only safe Asian country where you can walk the streets alone in night
> except Singapore and Japan. Our guide told me that he never heard any murder
> case here.

There are few murders by the general public. Most atrocities tend to be by
soldiers who mistreat their power and use it for their own benefit. There
have been a few cases recently which I have learnt from Burmanet.

> Streets are so clean and they have no slum quarters, because there are no
> disparity of wealth.

I honestly cannot see how this conclusion was reached unless the SLORC
were involved as guide agents. How is it possible to avoid seeing
disparity of wealth??

>Statistically, their GNP per person is as low as $300-400, but it does
>not hurt them at all.

Obviously the author has never lived on this income.

> You can not understand why " the theory of Myanmar is originally wrong " is
> a great mistake unless you visit Myanmar

Similarly you cannot talk about its social problems when you have not
lived there on an average income.

> In addition to that, education level and wills to work of Myanmar people is
> quite high. Their moral sense also high, so nobody steal money or other
> articles. Their population is nearly 50 millions. I may say it is a top
> class labour market in the world.

Education levels are high because many students are forced to have private
tuition due to lack of good public education. This situation is worsening.

> They also have rich resources for tourism. There are so  many ruins of
> Buddhism in all over the country. It will draw attention of the people in
> the world as on of best sightseeing  attractions.

Again, the author only sees the good side. What he has missed is the
forced labour and relocation of villages which far outweighs the benefits
for tourists visiting the country.

> However, as I mentioned before, America is too hostile to Myanmar. Using
> Mrs. Aung San Suu Kyi was their spokeperson for their propaganda and have
> her agitate the Myanmar people. Under these situation, the military
> government can not give up their armaments. In other words the unreasonable
> interference of America and other foreign countries is making the military
> government stiffer more. The above mentioned businessman said it.

If this is so then it is entirely the fault of the government. Their
stubborness to leave power is damaging the country. Does the author think
that if no pressure was applied the SLORC would leave of its own accord?
It has already had ample oppurtunity to do so.

> Whenever we wish to know a foreign country, we must take  a balance of our
> view point both from outside and inside. Otherwise, we may make a big
> mistake. Therefore, I wish to advise to Japanese young people to visit to
> Myanmar as many as they can. We have direct flights to Yangon from Kansai
> International Airport 3 times a week. Now I hope strongly they look at
> Myanmar with their own eyes so that the image of " Oppression by the
> military government. Poor Mrs.Aung San Suu Kyi " is not true.

The author is displaying hypocrisy here. He himself has looked only at
economic aspects and prospect of growth. This is not a balanced report. He
has avoided social aspects and above all more reasonable and obvious ways
to benefit the country.
It is incredible that a Doctor can miss so many important aspects of Burma
and produce a one-sided and illogical report.

Zaw Lwin