Opponents back Yadana outcome

19.2.98
The Nation

Pennapa Hongthong

Opponents of the Yadana gas pipeline yesterday announced that they would
accept any government resolution on the project, even if it does not
protect the forest and violates the principles of human rights.

On the last day of testimony presented before the national committee set up
to review the project, pipeline critics said the government could choose
between four alternatives: cancel the project, change the pipeline's route,
suspend construction, or continue building the pipeline until it's
completed. Meanwhile, officials from the Electricity Generating Authority
of Thailand (Egat) revealed that the power plant being built to receive the
gas will probably be delayed by at least one month, raising new questions
about the timetable for the pipeline.

Phipob Thongchai, a leader of the opposition group, said: 'We promised that
we would end our protest and leave the site [where a camp has been set up
to block construction] the moment the government makes a decision".

However, he said, if the resolution runs counter to public opinion and
damages the forest, it might be opposed by other groups. 'Although our
protest has ended, other groups might take non-violent action against the
resolution," he pointed out.

The national committee set up to review the project is attempting to gather
more information and then submit a recommendation to the prime minister so
that the Cabinet can make a final decision:

Committee chairman Anand Panyaraehun said the committee will brainstorm and
debate the information until Feb 24. Then he will submit all the
information to the prime minister and make a presentation at Government
House on Feb 25. "Making a decision on the issue is beyond [the
committee's] authority, we are simply ordered to gather information and
submit it to the premier," he said.

"This is not a public hearing because that should be held before a project
is approved. However, I hope that the committee's work will create a social
standard for any future large-scale development projects so that before
they are approved they must pass through a process of participation," he
said.