Manila says Myanmar junta talking t (r)

Junta having low-level talks with the opposition in Burma ?

As far as I can remember that was what U Tin U of NLD was suggesting
along that line last week or so.

Since then, we have not heard any news about this so called low-level
meeting with the opposition, so far. Instead reports coming out are that
the elected MPs from the NLD are being arrested in Burma. I hope this is
not the kind of low-level talks that Than Shwe was referring to.

Time will tell if there is any truth about the claim. I just hope Than
Shwe was not making it up just to avoid any pressure from Ramos and to
make a worth while stay during his visist and get the trade deals
signed.

Minn Kyaw Minn

--------------

>From notes@xxxxxxx Wed Feb 18 13:06:13 1998
>Date: 18 Feb 1998 10:55:34
>From: RANGOONP@xxxxxxx
>Subject: Manila says Myanmar junta talking to opponents
>To: Recipients of burmanet-l <burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>Manila says Myanmar junta talking to opponents
>
>By Ruben Alabastro
>
>MANILA, Feb 18 (Reuters) - Philippine President Fidel Ramos said on
Wednesday Myanmar's (Burma's) ruling military junta was holding
low-level meetings with the opposition which could lead to talks between
leaders of the two sides.

>``What we are seeing now is the dialogues are taking place at lower
levels building up to the very top of the leadership,'' he told
reporters after a round of golf with visiting Myanmar Prime Minister
Than Shwe.

>``I think these are very good developments,'' Ramos added, but he gave
no details.

>There have been no reports recently of any meeting between Myanmar's
ruling State Peace and Development Council (SPDC) and the main
opposition National League for Democracy (NLD). It was not clear what
talks Ramos was referring to.

>Yangon's military rulers late last year invited the NLD for talks but
refused to allow opposition leader and Nobel laureate Aung San Suu Kyi
to participate. NLD rejected the offer.

>Ramos and Than Shwe, who is chairman of the SPDC, have met three times
since the Myanmar leader arrived on Tuesday for a three-day visit but no
details have been released on what they discussed.

>Philippine Foreign Secretary Domingo Siazon said on Tuesday Manila
would try to encourage Myanmar to pursue national reconciliation.

>Than Shwe's visit coincided with reports from Yangon that the military
rulers had jailed four opposition members, including a parliamentarian,
in two townships.

>Manila has privately expressed concern about arrests of opposition
members in Myanmar, saying such incidents could strain the relations of
the Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN) with other
countries.

>ASEAN accepted Myanmar as a member last year, against opposition from
the United States and the European Union.

>A handful of demonstrators unfurled banners condemning human rights
violations in Myanmar when Than Shwe on Wednesday laid a wreath at the
monument to Philippine freedom hero Jose Rizal.